I thought I had weaned!

I weaned my 17 month old 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, she was only nursing once in the early morning (in bed with me so that I could get more rest). I doubt even then she was getting much milk, if any. Well...this morning she asked for it! I was shocked. I thought she forgot all about it since 2 weeks has passed. I wanted to see what would happen and she actually sucked for an hour...of course, I have no milk left so it was just for soothing purposes. Did I ruin something? I think I was just so tired and didn't want to hear her whining so I gave in (and also I was curious). I certainly am done nursing----so if she happens to ask for it again, should I just pick up from where we left off...telling her that milk is all gone?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's up to you how you want to handle it. She hasn't forgotten, and it will he awhile before she forgets (it was a big part of her life!). I doubt your milk is totally dry, but if anything, it's comforting for her. If you don't want it to continue, then don't give in to her. Offer her some water or milk, or a snack, or cuddles, if that's what she needs. That's how I got DS weaned (18 1/2 months). When he'd ask, I'd ask if he was hungry or thirsty. If it was clear he needed comfort, I'd snuggle with him and give him kisses and such. He really didn't cry much for it, and adjusted to our new way of doing thugs faster than I'd imagined. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I definitely wouldn't give in to her again or she'll come to expect it and it will be even harder to wean again. Just offer her a sippy and let her snuggle with you but make sure you have a shirt on and stuff. Give her extra love in the next few weeks.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son self-weaned at about 20 months & I was on pins & needles waiting for him to bring it up. When he did, I didn't let him nurse, but just snuggled with him. He used to rub my stomach while he was nursing, so I laid down w/ him & he rubbed my stomach & fell asleep. It is hard to give up nursing & that quiet, close contact w/ mom. Just make sure you give her that & it will probably go just fine. And yes, I would tell her that there's no milk but that whenever she needs to snuggle, you're always there for that! Good luck - I remember what a big transition this time was!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2011