am i starting her off too early?

my daughter will be 4 months saturday and i have been feeding her stage 1 baby food for a couple weeks now. it's not causing any problems and she doesn't act hungry all the time like she did when she just took formula. but the doctor will be very mad about it cause she believes in doing stuff by the books. any advice?

sonya_peak

Asked by sonya_peak at 8:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's working and it's not hurting ur baby... keep doing what ur doing. I didn't do it by the book either.. I had my son on cereal in his bottle early and then other moms around me had me giving him mashed potatos etc at about 4 or 5 mos. He remained healthy (he's 20 now). BTW the books aren't always right.
    Anonymous

• Its your child...as long as its not hurting your baby, I say, you do what you feel is okay,
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Whatever. My mom fed us at 2 weeks, rice cereal. By 4 months, we were eating everything. I fed my babies when they seemed ready, not when a book said they were.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• im doing the exact same thing... my daughter is 4 months friday. just started her on stage 1 also. i think its fine . i'll just deal with her pediatricion at her shots next week...
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 8:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• yeah, its your baby. & my son took baby foods in his bottle from month one. But the doctor recommended it bc he ate alot of formula. But if its not causing any problems, and shes not getting constipated or anythin, I would continue with it.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Some books say that a baby can start on babyfood at 4-6 months, so I think your in the clear. My mom use to give my brother and myself mashed potatos, and scrambled eggs.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 10:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Your kid, your choice. My son was spoon fed at three months... and that was suggested by my sons ped.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think you are starting too early. Now keep this in mind. I am NOT bashing you, (because I know some will say that I am), I am just answering your question truthfully.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i would just follow your gut or switch drs. my pediatrician told me to start my son on stage 1 foods whenever i felt ready and he was acting like he was interested in what i was eating. you arent hurting your baby and its making life easier for both of you so i would just do what feels right
    tyhlarsmommy07

Answer by tyhlarsmommy07 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The rule of thumb on starting baby on foods: If it comes out the other end looking like it did when it went in then babys tummy is not ready. If the food doesnt look the same then babys tummy is digesting the food properly and is ready. **I know doctors hate for you to feed food and cereal early but all babies develop at their own pace and are ready on their own time. Keep in mind that the milk should stay the major part of babys diet.
    dd_wam

Answer by dd_wam at 9:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008