Any Advice?

If the father of your child doesn't have a job but is on disability would taking him to court for child support be worth it?

xProudTeenMomx

Asked by xProudTeenMomx at 3:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• it doesnt hurt there are legal responsibilities for him ... i would exhaust all options the worse is them saying no nothing which is rare!!!!
    mommi638

Answer by mommi638 at 3:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No idea, never had to deal with any of those issues. I would say ask a lawyer.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• you bet the state will take it straight out
    nikkitorres

Answer by nikkitorres at 3:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I want child support from him but at the same time I don't want him to have rights to our son because he has already had two others taken away and his recent girlfriend just found out she is expecting as well. I don't want him to do something that will cause my son to get taken away but at the same time I want him to help.
    xProudTeenMomx

Comment by xProudTeenMomx (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Could always try. Glad you're not asking anonymously anymore. Makes it seem a little more real.

GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• you can also collect social security for your child if the child support is not enough.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Sorry chicka, he automatically has rights to that child once paternity is established. Since you're not married you'd have to establish paternity in order to get child support... With that comes his visitation rights.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• very rarely will they take a child away from mommy but, child support and custody are 2 seprate legal cases
    nikkitorres

Answer by nikkitorres at 3:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Well I guess I'll just do it on my own. As long as I'm alive he won't have any rights to this child at all and he already has papers from his psychiatrist saying that if he has anymore kids and the mother isn't capable of taking care of that child then the automatically go to the state.

xProudTeenMomx

Comment by xProudTeenMomx (original poster) at 3:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• But you're not understanding... It doesn't matter if you want him to have rights. All he has to do is file motion with the court in order to seek visitation and he will most likely get it. He hasn't caused harm to this kid, therefore they have no right or reason to terminate his parental rights to it.

I don't know his medical back ground, nor will my answer really change very much even if I did... You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either pick someone that is father material the next time you're sleeping around, or don't sleep around. If he has to pay child support, he's most likely gonna get visitation rights. In order for his rights to not exist, he either has to go before a court and relinquish them or a court has to terminate them. You do not get to make that decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011