medicine to produce milk?

i had to have a surgery and it caused all my milk to dry up, my daughter is only 3 months. is there a medicine that helps you produce milk? i know i can, but its just gone for now.

92210love

Asked by 92210love at 4:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start pumping. You body has forgotten but it will remember. also let her latch on and suckle, it will cause you to relactate.

As far as I know, there is no medicine for this. Just hard work.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You can take a supplement called fenugreek which you can buy at the grocery store if it has a supplement section or at a health food store. Double up on that. Also, you could get the mother's milk tea and drink that a few times a day. Stay away from things flavored with peppermint, parsley or menthol (including cough drops and cough syrups). Drink tons of water. I wish you the best and hope all goes well for you.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Kellymom.com is also great for information. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Unless the surgery removed your breasts or your pituitary gland, the milk is still there... you're just having trouble accessing it. Google RELACTATION. Everything you could possibly want to know.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Besides fenugreek, fennel and blessed thistle are also herbs that are known to increase milk supply. You could try a combination of these herbs or even buy pre-made teabags. Traditional Medicinals makes something known as "Mother's Milk" for this very purpose. Whatever you do, don't supplement with bottles if at all possible because that will decrease your supply even more. Pumping can be helpful, but the best thing is to put your Little One on your breast. Good luck!!

Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Baby to breast as often and as long as possible. Fenugreek is an herb commonly used to aid in production. Can I ask why you feel you have no milk? It's very possible you do, and just don't realize it. How long did you go without nursing? There are other things to aid in production, but I'd like to have more information before I start recommending things you might not need.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011