Why does he hit himself when I discipline him?

When I discipline/raise my voice to my 2 1/2 year old, he starts hitting himself. (smacking his butt or his head).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be that he is imatating someone else that may have been discplining him in the manner of spanking him of slapping him so you need to find out where he is getting that from
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 5:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with tinamarie1972. Try to find out where did he get this thought that if he is bad the smack is the discipline. Children are mirrors. If you can see something they do they could see from someone who is enough close to be a role model. I would be really aware. Does he go to nursery? He could pick it up from another child as well. But most likely he picked up from a grown-up because these two disciplines (smack the bottom and the head) are most likely grown-up disciplines. Look around in the close environment who could use these on your child.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Phase maybe! My DD is 21 months and if she is told no for something bad she smacks her face its so very weird.I just take it as another way to express her anger sincse she can't say "hey mommy QUIT saying no to me"!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I honestly don't know. I used to babysit a young boy, about 2 and he would pinch himself when he would get super mad! I have a son a little older then him and I do spank and he has NEVER done anything like that to himself.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Stop raising your voice to him and he'll stop doing that. You can teach him without yelling at him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• When you discipline him, do you spank or hit? If so, he could be mimicing you. he gets in trouble=getting hit?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• because he's frustrated and doesn't know what to do with that anger that he feels the need to lash out
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with what Zoey said. My oldest used to to do that too. He had a speech delay and it was the way he let his frustration out. Our speech therapist actually said it's pretty common in young kids and more so in ones that have a speech delay
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my son is 4 years old,and still hits himself in the head,he has been doing it since he was 2 almost 3,and i have no idea how to get him to stop,only does it when he gets yelled at,or doesn't get his way with getting a toy or some thing
    karma1432

Answer by karma1432 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011