How to cope with teeth surgery on my 2 year old.

My 2 year old daughter needs surgery on her teeth because one keeps chipping. I feel so awful about this. The 18th of next month is when the date is. Thats my baby. I can only wait in the waiting room. I'm going to be a mess. Any advice on how I can not be such a nut case or any stories that are similiar or what I can expect? The doctors and dentists told me what to expect, but my mind still isn't at ease. I need to talk to other moms :(

b_pacheco

Asked by b_pacheco at 6:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had to be anesthetized when he was 4 to have cavities filled - soft teeth, didn't react well to laughing gas, etc. I totally understand how you feel & I don't think you'll feel completely better until she is out of surgery & awake. I will tell you that we had a great anesthesiologist who explained to me that the only reason anything goes wrong with children while under anesthesia is if they have an underlying health condition and the anesthesiologist doesn't monitor them closely. He promised me that he would not be leaving my son's side, that he understood DS is my precious child & would not let anything happen to him. I still worried through the surgery though! This is nerve-wracking, but keep in mind anesthesiologists are used to dealing w/ very sick kids w/ delicate systems. Your daughter is healthy and so the risk to her is very, very low! I am sure everything will be completely fine!!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son had his first surgery at 16 months and his second at 21 months. It is scary to know that he is with a bunch of strangers away from you. He didn't have his surgery on his mouth until he was 4, by that time, it was getting a bit easier on me. What kept me in check was knowing that I choose the best doctor I could and I know they had competent anesthesiologist with them. I spoke to them prior to the surgery and felt comfortable with him. I also took someone with me to both surgeries to help pass the time so I wasn't sitting there by myself.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011