6 month old only sleeps 6 hours in 24 hr period...help!!!!

My now 6 month old daughter started out as a fairly good sleeper (compared to her two older sisters). At 3 1/2 months she switched on a dime and now can't sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time and is inconsolable at night. For the past 2 1/2 months I have tried everything I can think of...no cry sleep solution to cry it out. She is on reflux medication and I have now taken her to a naturopath and osteopath in addition to her pediatrician. My gut tells me something is wrong but I can't pinpoint it and I have searched the internet looking for ideas. I am at breaking point because she can't sleep at night (averages less than 5 hours total) and therefor I too am not getting sleep. It makes it almost impossible to parent my other two children. Any adivse is greatly appreciated.

jewelrydiva514

Asked by jewelrydiva514 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, im no expert, cuz it could be alot of things, but have you tried laying her on your chest or rocking her or anything like that? Just keep her really close to you, my son is that way when hes really sick, he has to be laying on me anytime hes sleeping. some babies just sleep better that way, and you need sleep too mama! Best of luck to you and your little girl!
    Anonymous

• It never hurts to have them checked. I have heard of airway obstructions that will cause a child not to sleep.
    Anonymous

• It does sound like something is very wrong. You need to go with your gut and get to the bottom of it for your baby's sake. Try swaddleing her, rocking her to sleep, holding her, putting her to sleep at an incline. (I used the boppy pillow to put my daughter at an incline. It really helped her.)
    amp83

Answer by amp83 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2008