Why is it...

considered nerdy (or unpopular) to go to Star Trek conventions, but cool to hang out at noisy nightclubs or sports bars?

Why is a person less accepted because they don't like what someone else likes? Why should a person do something they don't enjoy just to be accepted?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Entertainment

• Because we have become a nation of FOLLOWERS. I say just do what makes you happy.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• They shouldn't. Part of the problem is that the "nerdy" wants to be part of the "in" group. We need to want to belong and admire the group that we fit in. Often the "out" group ends up on top in the end. I hope this conveys what I am trying to say.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have no idea. I say do what you like. Your life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• you should be able to find other people who like what YOU like that will accept you...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Why can't one like both? I go to Comic Con and other conventions and bars in West Hollywood to see bands live where there's loud music and alcohol.

As long as we're not hurting anyone, why can't we all just do as we please and screw this idea of "popular" vs. "nerdy". It's so high school!

And now, to find out when W00tstock is happening again.... I wanna meet Wil Wheaton!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• idk..i wouldnt go to a star trek convention because i don't like star trek..maybe star wars (for my son) or dinosaurs...that would be cool
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I honestly didn't know it was. I mean, I've heard jokes about sci-fi nerds and whatnot, but I didn't really think anyone was being serious with the "nerdy" stuff after high school.
    If I was into Star Trek, I can absolutely assure you beyond any doubt that it would be impossible for me to care one single iota whether someone thought it was nerdy. I'm into plenty of movies, books, music, etc that people consider weird and it doesn't even register on my radar as something I should give a shit about. KTHX :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm not saying I wouldnt do what I want, cuz I do. But why the little comments and jokes at their expense? I don't see why its funny to make fun of anyone but to focus on certain groups because they dont go out and party at crowded clubs and get drunk and all that, just doesn't make sense.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Well some people DO make fun of the scenesters hanging out in clubs and bars. I suppose it depends on which crowd you run with. I guess everybody makes fun of somebody else.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• IDK, I guess it depends if there are any interesting ppl at the club. If so then the decor wont matter as much.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011