Do you ever avoid taking the kids out because of their behavior?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• oh, absolutely. I know exactly when its nap time! lol
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• As much as I can :-) And it is often when it is his nap time too. I try to work around it, but it can be difficult. I find giving him something to eat when we are out calms his no so great behavior down. I have been known to let him scream and cry down the local supermarket several times. As my husband reminds me... we will have plenty of time to embarrass him in public when he gets older :-)
    Anonymous

• Not my tweens, but when they were little, yes! My tweens know better!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Broke them of that quick. If I take them somewhere and they acted up I immediately turn around and take them home. And then go back without them. They soon learned that they didnt get to go anywhere if they didnt behave. I had to be consitent but eventually they learned.
    Anonymous

• Yes We avoided taking our kids out. And I WISH TO GOD ALL the other parents out there would STOP taking their monsters out to restaurants and letting them run wild! If your kids are BAD acting in restaurants I suggest you pay for the dinners of the people around you that your kids have ruined. Those people went out for a nice quiet dinner, not a mini war.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have not taken them, I have left the scene of the crime (grocery store) I also have suffered through bad behavior because I absolutely needed to be where I was and didn't have options to leave my kids anywhere safe.It is nice that I can leave them at home for about 1 hour after school during daylight and take care of some business without them and honestly they are getting to where they don't want to go boring places with me anyway. OK,OK, they are getting to where they don't want to know me in public cuz I'm old and don't know anything LOLOL!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I never stopped doing the things I wanted to do. I taught my children from a young age that they needed to behave a certain way when we were in public. That is not to say that once we got out they would always be angels because they weren't.

They knew that if I was talking very quietly to them and through my teeth that I was angry and they better had change what they were doing. Now that they are older I usually never have any problems with them.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Yes. If I know that the environment is not suitable and the behavior is not going to appropriate - then no kid is comming with me. I don't want to suffer, I don't want to put my child in a situation where I know they will most likely continue to make poor choices (and feel bad about themselves or get/continue to be moody), and I don't want other people to have to listen or see my child act out. There is nothing worse than a screaming cranky child in a restaurant or in any public place. It happens so I'm not judging parents. At the same time, be kind to yourself, your child, and others if you know that your child is going to be inappropriate.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Are you talking about like when they totally forget how to use a fork or knive at the dinner table or the fact that they believe that everyone around them is deaf so they must yell even in public.. or are you talking about the way they have no clue what you mean when you tell them to put something decent on and they come out in their play clothes??? I think I might have an idea what you are refering too.. as I am a mother of 2 10 year old girls a 13 year old girl and 2 boys one 15 the other 17.. and what's sad is they ALL do it..
    jackieb1023

Answer by jackieb1023 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2008