Daughter a nervous wreck about play auditions . How can I help?

My daughter is in 8th grade and involved in her school drama club. She has been in theater since 3rd grade and this will be her 17th play. She also takes voice and acting. She will be auditioning next Thursday and really wants the lead role in this play. I think she has a great chance . I think she will be totally devastated if she doesn't get the part and don't know if I should prepare her for that or build her confidence. She keeps asking if I think she will get it and I don't know what to say. If anyone has any tips or advice as far as how she can improve her chances at audition time I would appreciate it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell her she knows what she is doing, she did it before spectacularly and she will do a fabulous job again. Just get out there and belt out your part.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think I would encourage her to do her best and not worry about if she doesn't get the lead. I would deal with that after the auditions are over and you see how she does. My son went out for a school play this past year, there were 33 kids for 11 parts. I encouraged him to do his best while letting him know that not everyone was going to get a part. Luckly he did get a part, although one of his friends did not and he felt very bad for his friend. After wards we talked about how hard it is to be show business and that even if you go out for a play you might not get the part.

It is never easy, i think you just need to be there for her and just keep telling her to do her best.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Tell her she is doing a great job and remind her that with so many people auditioning any role is an honor and she should be proud to be chosen. It can be hard to remember how good you are when you don't get the part you want but the fact is, the saying is true. There are NO small parts. hewill do fabulous!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Easy, just have her act the play out in front of you at home a few times. This method worked wonders for my 7 year old when she had plays.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Have her practice her audition in front of you

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011