• In the Spotlight:

Glucose test tomorrow...help?

Ok, I'm 32 wks and very late for a glucose test. The doctor's office set up my appt and everything for it, but they didn't give me any instructions... I know I can't eat, but can I drink anything? Like water or a diet coke or something? I have noooo idea what is expected...

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 8:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You can have water...and I think they told me not to eat anything for two hours beforehand. They want your body to be as it normally is to see if it's functioning properly. If you deprive it of food when you normally wouldn't, you could end up with abnormal readings.

At my appointment, they gave me a choice of flavors, then handed me a Dixie cup of what was basically orange pop. After that, you can't have anything...but it doesn't take THAT long. Then they do a test (a finger prick, if I remember right) and then you're good to go!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You can probably drink water since it has no sugar in it.

It's not really as horrible as some make it out to be. You might even like the drink they give you, I thought it tasted like flat orange soda :D

During the hour after you drink the stuff you can't have water or gum or ANYTHING, though. You also can't go pee, so if you do drink water from now until you go in tomorrow, make sure you pee all you can :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You have nothing to be worried about. I took mine a week ago.
    All they had me do is drink this sweet ass juice and wait for a hour then they took my blood.
    You can't eat anything or drink anything.

But, its nothing to be worried about. Just the waiting might get on your nerves.

lilmommy022009

Answer by lilmommy022009 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• oh what about the night before? My appt is at 9 am, so when should i stop eating and drinking pop/juice?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I don't think the night before matters.
    Because I didn't even know I was going to take that test until i got to the doctor!
    All that matters is what your sugar says AFTER you drink that orange soda crap.
    lilmommy022009

Answer by lilmommy022009 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• generally, you should stop eating or drinking anything after midnight.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i dont think so, abt the drinking anything.
    but its really not that bad, it tastes like a really sweet orange koolaid, i actually liked it lol.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You don't have to prepare for the one hour test beforehand. If you are doing the three hour test like I am than you have to fast the night before. Water is fine though they told me to be hydrated and for my first hour they said it was ok to pee but if I remember right for my first pregnancy I had to wait to pee but that was at a different hospital. I wouldn't worry about taking the test late and when you go in to drink the stuff they tell you that you can't eat and stuff. I'm 12 weeks and I have to take the three hour test because my one hour test was abnormal but with my first pregnancy it was the same way so I have to do it early. Hope you are luckier than I am.
    MamaslilAngels2

Answer by MamaslilAngels2 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Im getting my test on the 24th, and the doctor told me to eat something like bacon and eggs that morning and to not eat stuff like pancakes or anything sugary.

Drink water.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 10:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Drink water!!! the excess amount of sugar in the orange nastyness can really dehydrate you...but dont eat anything...i think i ate an eggo waffle that morning because i totally forgot and i told the doc when i got there, she said no worries...so i would say stick with water..dinner is ok...just dont let yourself get dehydrated, its harder to come back from when your pregnant!
    MamaAnnie87

Answer by MamaAnnie87 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2008