Dry scaley skin!

Both of my boys (ages 9 and13) have very dry skin especially in the winter but in the summer too. Its not only dry but kinda scaley too! I've tried many over the counter lotions. Take them to the dr who recommended afew lotions. With this weather its just getting real bad. Any suggestions?

JennyJenny529

Asked by JennyJenny529 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Stay away from OTC lotions; they are full of petrochemicals that will only excacerbate the condition. Try pure shea butter and/or organic, hexane-free extra virgin coconut oil applied topically (the coconut oil can also be cooked with/ingested for its numerous health benefits). You can also apply evening primrose oil topically and ingest for its health/skin benefits also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i loooooove aveeno for my kids! my dd has such sensitive skin and it works very well for her. my ds on the other hand hates using anything so its an everlasting battle. gl
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 8:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son has severe eczema and this is what we do for him. I know it is hard to get older kids to do this because mine is 13 and has had this since he was 2 months old. If I can get him to do it I have him take a bath for about 20 minutes and then when he gets out put cream all over his body. http://www.amazon.com/Hydrolatum-Dry-Skin-Cream-Lb/dp/B000NOT9GO This Hydrolatum cream works really well. If the skin gets red and irritated we usually use over the counter antibiotic cream and that seems to help. He does have one prescrition medication cream called ProTopic, this works great on the bad areas like his feet.

Also try to get them to drink more water to hydrate their bodies. I would also ask the doctor to refer you to a allergy specialist. I know with my son they did a bunch of testing and he is allergic to lots of enviormental things, although food can sometimes cause this.

Send me a message if you like. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• More itchy dry chapped skin skin here!
    Bathe with a mild moisturising soap (Aveeno makes a natural Colloidal Oatmeal it's great for soothing itchy skin). The pediatrician told us to use Colloidal Oatmeal baths when my daughter got chicken pox. It worked to stop the itchiness.

Other things that can help.
    Wash clothes in mild detergent, and make sure all the soap is washed out of the laundry. From Whole Foods I found Weleda breand Calendula Cream Bath and lotion very soothing and it does not have petroleum or mineral oil (if that stuff bothers you).

UrbanDoula

Answer by UrbanDoula at 8:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You could try olive oil or an oatmeal bath. I use Vaseline or coco butter.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Coconut oil in the skin
    lots of water to drink

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• DO not use products containing parabens or petroleum products. They will only make the problem worse. I use Jordan Essentials Shea butter & lotion bar. These are all natural & made in the USA.  I'd be happy to send you some free samples.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 1:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011