Awkward situation..help?

At work this very sweet young man (early 20s) and I became good friends at work. Now at some point he started crushing on me and its pretty obvious in how he talks and looks at me. He knows I'm married and have kids.

He jokes around with me asking "When you gonna break up with him so we can get married?" Now I know he thinks its cute, but its kinda weird. I never answer that and change the subject.

I don't wanna hurt the guy's feelings but not sure how to go about how to address this. He's very nice.

Beauty and charm is such a curse when your a beautiful Latina woman ;-) LOL JUST KIDDING!!! :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• Aw poor, thing, sucks to be a heartbreaker, eh? lol

I'd just be really sweet and gentle about it and imply i what you say that your not into his talking like that. He'll get the message. He sounds sweet and I'm sure if he's crushing on you he'll forgive whatever you have to say and not get offended at all.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• All you need do is tell him that he is a nice young man, that you are sure he will make some lucky woman a fine husband, but that you are very happily married and totally not interested in him in any other way than as a co-worker. If you have to repeat it several times, then just repeat it--kindly but firmly. You need to put a quick end to his illusions.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• LOL - I love your attitude and understanding about this young man. I've been in this situation myself and while it's flattering it's also uncomfortable.

What worked for me was talking to my friend in private, at a time when he had NOT made a "breakup" remark, and said "I know you're just kidding, but your remarks make me a bit uncomfortable. They're a little inappropriate especially in the workplace where someone might misunderstand that our relationship is strictly platonic and that I love my family as it is." In my case, he apologized and although things were a bit awkward for a day or so, it was fine very quickly. Now he asks me for dating advice!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Very nicely tell him you are not interested.

Answer by older at 8:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think I wish I were Latina!!!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm 1/2 latina...although, i have blonde hair & blue eyes...LOL, but i definitely caught the beauty & charm...hahaha!

I think the next time he says something like that, just tell him "It's not OK to say those kind of things in the work place" If he doesn't get the picture, then you need to tell him up front that you're happily married, you're not interesting in him & he needs to quit & if he doesn't you'll have to take it to another level (tell the boss).
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• you shouldn't be such a flirt...lol just kidding!!! just tell him... I am happily married with children and if he still don't get it tell him you guys can not be friends. GL
    Oh and I know what you mean though there are other beautiful women out there being a latina chick is hard...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yeah just say hey I am not interested I am very happy in my marriage!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Girl come on...You know that's trouble waiting to happen...Tell his a.. to back off.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• LOL! I'm half latina and half philipino... it's not easy being beautiful is it...lol!
    If he's harmless just ignore it and keep doing what you're doing or play up your husband and happy family. He'll get the message and back off. Just don't go meeting him for drinks after work or batting your eyelashes at him... lol!
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2011