What do you think is the best way to handle a 9 year old who is not listening/getting into trouble at school?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 8:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wish I could tell you something good but my 9 yr. old has his disrespectful ways towards me and that is when I tell my hard ass dh..lol and he changes his attitude real quick. He knows who to listen too..lol But if I were alone raising him I would have to ship him to some kind of a bootcamp it's sad but hey it would be bettering him in the long run. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• good question.

i didn't listen much to my parents, and still don't.

but then, in my case many have said 'thank god!'
    my sister was the one that took after mom and you should see the mess she is.

hope it's just a phase?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Tough question, I haven't had experience with this but my brother certainly has and chose to ignore it. His son is 16 now (almost 17) does drugs, drinks, skips school, has a probation officer...my advice is to do something now before it gets out of hand. My first thought is to talk to him, find out what it is that makes him act out, maybe by talking you can find out the root cause. Discipline obviously is key, consistency, but at the same time you have to reward for good behavior and let him know he has positive qualities as well. I can tell you my brother's son is the way he is because they chose to yell and punish versus having some deep conversation. That poor kid thinks no one loves him and has abandoned any goals or dreams he has had because he thinks he's destine to be a failure to everyone.. I'd start by talking, setting boundaries, consistent discipline, and if necessary a counselor. Good luck!
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• When I was that age and started acting out, my dad sat me down and explained to me that he and my mom "owed" me nothing and all the nice things I had were luxuries. He then told me that he was going to start taking away all those things one by one if I didn't clean up my act. That included my tv, stereo, computer, phone, friends, etc. It got to the point where I had to to do an hour plus of homework time a day regardless of how much homework I actually had. If I finished my homework, I had to read for the rest of that time. He made me do that until I proved to him that I could handle the freedom of doing that stuff on my own again.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2011