Does it seem....

like teen pregnancy is being glorified these days? I mean, when I was growing up I only heard of one teenager being pregnant in high school, and yet MTV has now 2 seasons of Teen Mom. It boggles the mind as to how these girls going out and getting pregnant has become a popular television show. I admit that it shows the struggles of being a teen mother, as well as the difficulties of balancing motherhood and school, but instead of showcasing teen mothers, why doesn't MTV do a show about college moms? Or single moms? Or working moms? Or something that deals with the majority of the populace. I did my research and teen pregnancies are declining since the 1950's when it was common for girls to be married at the first sign of menstration. If these occurances are decreasin (and have been decreasing before MTV put out the first season of Teen Mom) then what's the point of advertising this phenomenon?

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 8:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Teen pregnancy has ALWAYS been a problem, it is just more common knowledge because of media. I HATE the tv show 16 and Pregnant. Parents need to talk with their childern about sex from a young age and not make it taboo. Look at the European countries, they have MORE teens having sex but a LOWER teen pregnancy rate because they talk with their children, are open and honest with them and don't make sex taboo. What happens when you tell a teen NO or that something is bad? They do it just because it is forbidden.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It's on MTV because of the majority of viewers are teens, and it gets ratings. It's like watching a train wreck, you don't like how bad it is, but you just can't help it and have to watch.. That's what I think anyway. I don't watch the show, never have, but I would imagine like anything else on MTV, it won't last.... Hopefully some teens will take away a better message, and learn that being a teen parent isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My husband watches it, I don't. I know that teen pregnancy isn't rare and that it happens, but with the statistics showing that it's happening less and less often, do we really need a reality show about it?
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't really like the fact more teens are being moms now days but me and my daughter watched the MTV teen mom and after watching it she did not want to have a baby she said she said she likes her freedom to sleep and do what she wants with out someone else to worry about. So that show did my daughter good but a friend of mine watched it with her daughter and now he daughter wants to be a mom. It just goes to show you that each teen that watches the show gets different points. I am just glad my daughter got the point of how hard it is to be a teen mom.

mousie36

Answer by mousie36 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Pregnancy among teens now is like planting tons of tulips.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I havn't seen the show- but my guess is that since it is MTV the shows are aimed AT teens...

I don't remember anyone in high shcool being pregnant when I went (in the 80's)
    My daughter is a junior and she tells me that there are like 7 girls at her school that SHE knows of that are pregnant and a couple of them already have one kid...
    *we are in TX
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Your husband watches it?? That's a little creepy.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't know, having a show about teens being pregnant, while I admit, it can be a good way to show how hard it is to be a teen mom, isn't doing anything else but glorifying teen pregnancy. Some kids'll look at that program and think "I don't want to be like that" and make sue that they prevent pregnancy from happening to them, others will say "See, those girls did it, I can too" and go out and try to get pregnant.
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• 16 and pregnant and Teen Mom are great shows for teenagers. My 16 year old son and I watched it together and we ended up spending 3 hours watching a 1 hour show because we keep pausing it to discuss sex, parenthood, responsibility and birth control. Tell me that's not great. These shows do not glamorize teen parenthood, quite the opposite and teen pregnancy has actually gone done since the show started.You really should watch it before you judge. What do your teens think of it?
    Back in the 50's teen got pregnant but then were shamed into giving their children away. They weren't allowed to even see their children, were told to "get over it' and "forget" and "move on", as if that were even possible. Many of these teens suffered PTSD, secondary infertility, depression and some committed suicide. Read the book "The Girls Who Went Away" by Ann Fessler. http://www.thegirlswhowentaway.com/
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Cont.... I'm glad that I live in an age where if one of my teens gets pregnant or impregnates someone then they are aren't shamed into a life like that and I wouldn't be forced to live without my grandchild.
    Teen pregnancy is not ideal, put it's not the end of the world. Children are a blessing.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011