How to rebond at this age?

My daughter was 4 yrs old when her dad got custody, because of the church I was in, he got full custody and I only got to see her maybe once to 3 times a year. She is now 16 and has left her dad's home because of her stepmom. It seems to be going ok, but I don't have a lot of money so doing special things like going out alone aren't feasable, I have 5 other kids and my husband works night shift. Just wanted some suggestions on getting closer to her, she's very active, so I only get to see her an hour or two a day so far, she moved in yesterday, hopefully we'll have more time this weekend if her grandmother doesn't interfere.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• im going through kinda the same thing what i do to bond with mine is we have popcorn and watch a movie, take a walk, go outside to check out mother nature, play board games theres so much to do that doesnt cost much. i only see them once a month if not twice. i always ask how her day is i can tell she likes thats.
    shannonmarie759

Answer by shannonmarie759 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• go to the mall window shopping. you can get to know her styles and thoughts cause she should open up more.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I understand that spending time at home might be hard with the other children there. you could try going out for coffee or soda once a week. Just talk to her and listen to her. If you have time at home maybe you could play a game or paint each others nails.

I think as long as you make her feel welcomed and loved it should be okay.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• They love to go to Starbucks for a drink. It gives time to talk and relate to one another. Always just make her know that you are there to listen to her. Just taking the special little bit of time to be alone with her will make her feel close to you.
    Always be truthful with your daughter. let her know the hard times you have been through and the wrong choices you feel that you made. This will make her feel closer to you and accept you as a real person in her eyes. Do not be judgemental even if you do not agree with something or a choice that she is making. Let her know that you are concerned with her choice but that you are there for her no matter what.
    My daughter and I like to mess with her hair, her make-up and shop at Value Village...she loves to go there. Hope this helps...Lenda
    lennyraye

Answer by lennyraye at 5:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008