Working mom's - are you ALWAYS feeling guilty??

I work full time outside the home...no choice, unfortunately since I carry the health insurance for my family. I have a 22 month old boy and I'm constantly feeling horribly guilty about not spending enough time with him. Most days I get him home at 6pm and he goes to bed at 9.

My question is for working mom's - how much of your time after work do you spend playing with your toddler? After dinner, I usually give my son ALL my time, but I'm just exhausted and my husband thinks I'm spoiling him with too much attention...? Help!

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no, i'm providing a means to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table, amongst other things. I feel no more guilty than Working Dads do or should feel.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I got really, really lucky... I only needed part time work to make ends meet and got a babysitting job. It's a pain in the ass to get up at 5:30 three days a week, pack the kids up and drive 30 minutes to my job, but I get to spend all my working hours with my kids.

I have worked parttime outside the home without them, though, and I did feel guilty. But I don't think that's right. You are doing a good thing for your family, what yu have to to make it work. Women are so guilt-ridden, especially mothers! You're doing a fantastic job, and it's impossible to spoil a child with too much attention!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't feel guilty about working. However, my hours sound drastically different from yours. I work a 6 am to 2 pm shift Monday through Friday, with a few hours on the weekend. So, I still have all afternoon to spend with my son.
    But, you should not feel guilty for doing what you need to in order to support your child regardless. Honey, we all do the best we can, and that is all we can do!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Once I pickup my DD2 from daycare, I'm practically hers. She pretends to help me with some chores around the house, but we mostly sit and play or watch TV together.

I do get her involved on some laundry folding and putting away. We play cleanup and sweep the floor and I clean up the kitchen while she eats her dinner. However, we are always together between 5 and 8 pm.

I do feel guilty at times. I wish I could spend more time with her, since we are all tired by the end of the day. But she really enjoys going to her daycare and having kids to play with.

My boss is one of the greatest bosses, since he allows me to work from home if I need to take her to drs appts or if she's not feeling well. But sometimes I do wish I could get paid to stay home with her, until she drives me absolutely crazy and exhausted, then I wish I could go to work so I could rest. O:)
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My fried says it kills her. She works from 6am to 6pm and that means her son is in Daycare from 6am to 630pm....unless daddy gets of work early her sun is raised by daycare she said...Next year she is taking 3 years off to make up fpr what she missed out on....6-6 is a LONG!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Friend* and whatever else i missed..sorry! :/
    Anonymous

• nope never feel guilty. have to do what i have to do and that is the way life goes.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I never felt guilty about it. I didn't feel like I was missing much and it gave me a huge break. I worked full time for the first 6 years of my kids lives (just was fired in September) and have attended school full time also. I worked nights so I didn't miss anything :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't know if guilt is the right word, but I do feel like I am missing out. I work full time m-f and 3 nights a week. Now that my son is 16 months and much more interactive, I sometimes feel like I am not the one teaching him. Also, lately, he seems to want to attach himself to me whenever I am home. While I know what I do is important to the well-being of our family, I do wish I could be home more.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011