Do you think...

SAHDs feel guilty for not being in the work force and providing the income and doing what society feels men are supposed to be doing in a family?

Do they truly feel personally guilty or is it more of a pressure that society puts on them?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think society plays a huge role in it, along with parents and those brought up in the 60s and 70s, who just see tings a certain way. It shouldnt matter whose at home. I think if the parent has more going on at home, they don't feel quite as bad. Its when it gets slow and they have nothing really to do that it hits them.

Also for a man, I'm sure its much harder to find friends they can relate with. The playdates and chitchatting over the fence isn't a real male-bonding sorta thing. As such, manny dads are probably loners stuck talking to their little kids for company or just taking lonely walks to get out of the house.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It is more common for dad's to stay at home now, then women. I'm sure sometimes they feel guilty, or more-so ashamed, but then again, i'm sure some LOVE it lol. And also, I think society puts pressure on them to be the ''bread winner''. I wouldn't feel guilty, as for being awoman who tkaes care of my household, I would feel proud of myself! But then again, I would feel guilty IF my SO wanted to get back into the work force.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My cousin is a SAHD. Not by choice. He came over one day just for some adult conversation. He has been laid off for a good year now. He is one of those who is desperately trying to find a job. Until then he is SAHD. He feels very inadequate as a man. His words. He feels he is failing his family. We were raised very old fashioned. The men worked and the women stay home. He is struggling hard with his situation. He broke down and apologized for eve making fun of me for being a SAHM.

I know not all SAHD feel this way. I am just giving his point of view. He still has not found work. The jobs are scarce here. There are even no jobs at out McDonald's. A very good friend of mine manages our local one and she is going to call him with the first opening. She has not hired in 6 months. Nobody will give up any job they have here for fear of not finding another.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think whatever works for your family is your business and no one elses... My Hubby can't wait until he can be home more for our boys. We have about 3 more weeks and he will be here A LOT more, and I can't wait to have the extra help! I say to heck with everyone else! If your kids are happy and healthy, and your marriage is doing well, then nothing else matters!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Well, that in my estimation would be a double standard. Why should moms stay at home and it be ok, but a dad does it and he is guilty? Crap I say!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Mine used to just feel pretty useless during school hours. He would say "You can only cook and clean so much, but there's just nothing to do around here by yourself that doesn't make people think you're not some creepy guy".
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think it's society ( working women who presume to have it all and cope at the same time, and chauvinistic men that like to have their TOYS) that puts that pressure on women...Someone has to take care of the kids, and this has never really been valued in our society the way it is in some other cultures.

I'm not saying their isn't a place in this world for working mothers either, but I do feel that many of them look down at SAHM's, which I think is sad, because so many of them would do it if they could.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 9:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i dont think they do, no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011