Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Help for our dog

About 2 weeks ago our dog got fixed and had 4 baby teeth extracted that wouldnt fall out. Everything seemed to be fine and she healed up well..about a week after she got home from the vet she got sick one day and threw up about 4 times..I thought she had eaten something off of the floor and got sick. Well then she didnt throw up for a day and now shes been throwing up every night just once for the last 5 days..the day before the first throw up incident we had left to go to the store so we had to put her in her crate. She has a blanket and somehow managed to rip string off of it and tried to eat it. It was still attached to the blanket and hubby had to pull it out ...so he pulled it out from her mouth and apparently it was all the way down her stomach and there was about a foot of that...So could it have been that? If so why is she still getting sick? Also we just moved last week as well ..and the vet gave her biotine veterinarian because of her bad breath so we had been putting that in her water, and thought maybe it could be that too but it has NO side effects...Were to the point where we dont know what to do..were too broke to even take her to the vet. It took us forever just to save up for the spaying and getting the teeth removed. ...Please help!

Answer Question
 
Italiancouture7

Asked by Italiancouture7 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pets

Level 4 (41 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Has she been pooping normally? If not, she could have a blockage. Are you sure all of the string from the blanket came out and that she didn't eat anything else she wasn't supposed to? I don't know if she is having a reation to the Biotene, but by looking at the ingredients online it seems to have a lot of sugar (glycerin; sorbitol; glucos oxidase) in it. Plus it has propylene glycol which is "related" to ethylene glycol that is in anti-freeze (which is poisonous to dogs). I would definitely stop giving that to her and brush her teeth (with doggy toothpaste) a couple times a week instead!
    CollinBayleeMom

    Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:53 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • @CollinBayleeMom..You know what I think your right about the pooping thing. Weve just moved to a new house AND had a huge snow storm so shes been super weird about going outside..its been like pulling teeth just to get her out there and then she just sits there and shivers and will only pee..I dont recall seeing her poop, but ive also been sticking her on her leash for about 10 minutes by herself out there to see if that would make her go so she may have possibly gone during that time but I dunno..but in any case she hasnt been herself with potty time..Im guessing its the snow? Weve been trying so hard to get her to go!
    Italiancouture7

    Comment by Italiancouture7 (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • If you tell the vet your situation maybe they can see you as a "follow up visit" - part of the spaying - and not charge you for it. I do think she really needs to be checked.
    confused969

    Answer by confused969 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • I'm sorry but I think you need to take her to the vet because of the vomiting and unable to poop. A string doesn't necessarily cause blocking as much as it can cause more damage by tying up the intestines by wrapping around the loops. That is the danger of string being ingested by any animal. Most likely they will need to take an x-ray. You should explain your situation and they might be able to offer a payment plan or hopefully something even more charitable.
    spottedpony

    Answer by spottedpony at 11:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • ItalianCouture, you posted this is Advice for Moms I believe it was, you got answers you didn't want to hear and then deleted the thread because of those answers.
    You told us that you spoke to your vet and the VET said it was the snow that wasn't making her poop. So you are lying that you called the vet then.
    The dog needs to see someone. She ate a blanket, had a string from that blanket torn out of her by your husband, has been vomiting for 5 days straight and can't go to the bathroom. YOU NEED TO GET THAT DOG seen by a qualified professional. The dog could have a blockage, there could be left over string from the blanket. Get off the computer, find a vet who will take the dog in or have the dog put to sleep so she doesn't get worse and die.
    Acid

    Answer by Acid at 2:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • Not much more I can add but I think the dog needs to see a Vet.
    MyAngel003

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • 5 days straight and you think posting on cafemom is a better idea than taking your puppy to the vets? THEY DEFINATLEY NEED TO GO. Especially if there is a risk they could have eaten something.
    little.knickers

    Answer by little.knickers at 4:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pets
Do people that treat animals

Next question overall (Health)
Journal?