ranitadine (zantac) in infants? (any advice for GERD please)

My new baby (1 month old) has painful reflux (arching back, crying after eating, coughing, spitting up, congestion). We went to his pediatrician yesterday and she prescribed ranitadine. I hate giving meds to babies, but I feel like its probably the best thing. I feel like his dose is soo much though. 0.6 mls. twice daily. Does that seem right to anyone who is/ has done this?

We are seeing a chiropracter as well in hopes that it gets him over this quicker. He is so positional that he cant sleep on his back, cant be over my shoulder or bent over for burping, has trouble in his bouncer seat and carseat... so we are having to hold him in order for him to be able to sleep.. which means we arent. He is eating great and gaining well so far.

Any suggestions to get a mommy through this?

He is breast fed only and I have cut dairy down a lot and dont eat too many gassy giving foods.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• The thing that saved my sanity with my DS was using a Baby Bjorn it kept him upright and me mobile u may also want to try a sling or some sort of wrap since you are bf,bicycle your lo legs,tummy massages,Mylicon drops all helped with the gas also enjoy your lo and congrats :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Try cutting gluten from your diet as well.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• His refluz sounds really painful for him. My yougest was also on ranitadine for his reflux. He had to take it twice a day and after about a week of regular use his reflux was much better. He was only on the meds for a few months before he outgrew it.
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• our little girl was on zantac when she was about 8 wks old and continued almost to a year...it never settled down the vomiting much but she didn't cry when she ate. She switched to Nexium around 12 mo. and I honestly don't know if it helped a lot or if she grew out of it. I can't remember her dosage. I hated giving her any type of medicine too but she was so miserable. good luck
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son was on Zantac, but after a month I took him off, because it was not helping at all! I think sometimes they just have to grow out of it and let their bodies adjust
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My 2nd was on zantac for 3-4 months, once he went on solids we cut it out to see - and no more reflux.

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• First, did the doc do any tests to determine GERD? I ask because often over active letdown symptoms can mimic GERD to a T! Look into it. My son never used ranitidine, he was put on axid, and the dose was I believe 1ml at first, then it increased a little as he got bigger. Def look into the OAL first, it MIGHT not even be GERD.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2011