Dealing with an aging dog

Our dachshund is getting old and she is not asking to go outside to pee and I'm having to clean up pee a few times per week. Thank goodness she isn't a big dog but we have carpet and we don't want it ruined. We love her and would never ever get rid of her but I need some ideas on how to take care of her and not isolate her in a kennel or room w the door closed but keep our carpet decent too. My husband is very frustrated with her and I admit I get ticked off at her too. My kitchen is linolium and she never has peed on a hard surface but our kitchen pretty much walks right into the living room so a gate is out of the question unless I could get a pretty short, really long one we could step over.

RentaMom

Asked by RentaMom at 10:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pets

• We have buried 3 doggies in the past 4 yrs and what you describe seemed to happen to most of them. You might want to take her to the vet though because they can develop kidney issues that contribute to the urinating on the floor, or even cancer is some cases can. Once you can get that out of the way and know there is no underlying issue, the doctor can also give some advice to you. For us we realized dogs age alot like we do. They get senile and forget where they are at. We had to take them out about once an hour and make sure they did what they had to do and it cut down on the messes.

Answer by gemgem at 10:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Playpen-Panel-Divider-Octagon/dp/B0040M1R1K

We bought this as a room divider, it might work...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My mil has the same kind of dog and he's 9. He has always went on pee pads but now he won't make it to them. He started with just peeing but now poos in the house as well. She took him to the vets n found out he has cancer. She didn't want to put him to sleep so they are giving him meds to keep him comfy. I sugest taking your dog to the vet.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It sounds like you know what you have to do. They do make exactly the kind of gate you suggested. You could probably contrive one yourself.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have a 17yo dog and we had to adjust what we did. Such as feeding her at the same time and then taking her out frequently, we don't wait for her to "ask" to go out we will ask her and even have to kind of make her go out, The other thing I noticed is she would go out and just stand there so after a few minutes she would come back in. Then she would have an accident, I figured out that she needs to move around a bit to get everything working and to be able to go. So, if she is just standing there I go out and try to get her to move around the yard and a few minutes of movement she will then do her business. We also bought a rug cleaner :) I know it's hard but I just came to accept that she is old and can't control it sometimes.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with taking her to the vet to make sure there isn't something going on that can be addressed.

In addition to the above suggestions, and if everything else is ok per your vet, you could try putting diapers on her. I'd just buy baby ones and cut a hole for her tail. My friend was helping to take care of a lamb in her house and put diapers on her so she wouldn't make a mess -- worked great!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i guess you could let her out more often, dont wait for her to tell
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If you don't want her to pee on ther rug you either put her out or confine her. It sounds like it's time to put her down, and that's not a bad thing if she's old and ailing. A dog can't tell you how they feel you kind of have to know your dog and judge. I had Cocker Spaniel and her Son both had to be put down 2 yrs apart, and it was heartbreaking, but they were both very sick and we knew it. My Vet came to the house with the Son, we took the Mother to the Vet for her. Just be the judge of your dog, and don't let her suffer too long.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes as WE age we need prompts to go to the toilet. We don't euthanise our grandparents for being incontinent?!?! So that is no reason to put an animal to sleep unless there is a medical explanation and she is suffering.

The solution is an easy one...take her out more often, even just in the garden. Take her every couple hours (or however often she usually needs to go) after mealtimes, after a nap, after a play session etc. Sometimes she may not go straight away, but if you let her excericse...throw a ball or encourage her to chase you or even just walk around the garden with her, that could help her work a little so she feels the need to go.

I had 3 labradors who entered their senile years together. It never once crossed my mind to put any of them to sleep until they developed illnesses. It is also worth investing in a rug doctor! I love mine!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2011