Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Taxes & children

So my children's gma (there dad's mom) brought up in conversation that we should alternate who gets to claim our 2 kids, one season it's me, the next is him. I said FORGET ABOUT IT! I said >> maybe << I can THINK about giving him SOME of what I get for our kids, but no way in HELL would I let him claim both or even one of my children. I work hard for my money, I take care of them 24-7 besides he gets them every other weekend. I buy all of there stuff, I get TANF (because he does not have a job at this moment) but she's talking about when he does get a job.

What do you other mom's think? Do you give him SOME, let him claim one child, or both, or give him nothing? I don't think it's right to give him any, he chose to leave, he does not have all the responsibilities of being a FT parent, he doesn't have to work just to put all that money towards the kids, but when he does start working he will owe TANF, AND child supprot enforecement ( i already filed for it, he just needs a job to take out of paycheck)


Asked by knicole0708 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 23 (17,012 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • My son's bio father tried to do this to me when we went to court for child support. I said NO WAY, and I am glad I did. He hardly ever see's him. He might take him for a weekend every 2-3 months, and in my book that is not deserving to claim him on his taxes. Now if he was more involved in his life and took him more often I may give him a portion of the money I would get back, but when our DS is with me 24-7 and I provide everything for our son, his bio dad is not going to get anything for him.

    Answer by saysha100687 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • This is new to me so if I am wrong please forgive me. Don't you work all that out in the custody agreements?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • I've done it before & I can honestly say I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN! I went from getting $7000 one year to $3000 when I let him claim our girls. I think that if the mother has them, raises them, and they live with her, she should claim them.

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • i used to give my sons father a little of my state check. But now its nothing!!!! HR Block told me to claim my son and keep all my money. I work and take care of him. receive NO child support so I keep alll MY money. You should keep it

    Answer by Collegemommy910 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • Anon - Not where I am at (VA) Atleast in our custody ''battle'' no lol

    college - I don't recieve CS yet, but once he starts working, he will have to pay. I currently recieve TANF, which is like CS, but I get it automatically and when he finds a job he has to start paying it all back.

    superr - well i'm glad you mentioned that, i will end up giving him nothing lol .

    Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • If he isn't taking responsibility already and paying what he should, as well as keeping a full time job, then I wouldn't give him anything. I as well wouldn't let him claim any of the children. Especially since you have primary custody, hold a job, and pay for everything. I think if he wants to be able to have that luxery of them on his taxes, then he should take the responsibility of supporting them.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • I didnt allow my first ex to claim the kids at all. He never visited though and we had a court order and all it said was whoever it benefited most could claim the kids. I always figured it benefited me most since I had them. Anyway fast forward to a few yrs ago and he took me to court and lo and behold if he pays child support then he gets to claim atleast one of the kids. I didnt like it, but my lawyer said if I went to court and fought it then he could claim two of them. I went ahead and allowed him to claim one.
    The thing though is by law if they dont live with you he has to file a form with your signature saying it is alright. If he tries all you have to do is show proof they lived with you and he didnt have permission.

    Answer by gemgem at 10:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • he better off letting you claim them your head of house hold and besides if you receive a state check that money has to be paid back by him!!! so if he behind they will take his hole tax check and u and the kids will have nuthan. my bdae receieve a large sum of money and the state incepected and gave me an extra 4,000

    Answer by kai302 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • I wouldnt let him clam them if I was you I would give him a little bit of money bc without him you wouldnt have your beautiful babies but like you said you take care of them 24 7 and you can use the money to better thier lives and get them what they need.. its just my OP

    Answer by mommato2boys79 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • When my husband divorced his ex, it was stated in the divorce decree which parent go to claim which kid. I'd say, if you don't legal have to share it with him and he's not demanding it, why give it to him.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2011