at what age should you stop having kids birthday bashes?

gardenchic

Asked by gardenchic at 10:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• When ever the child says mom I don't want that...

My 14 year old don't want a party, at least a huge one but her sweet 16 will be nice... :) She knows it....My 12 year old is having one Saturday...

I think the child should have there Birthday the way they see fit, not too extreme though... Enjoy life, everyone deserves a special Birthday....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I never felt big birthday bashes were a great idea. My kids have had a couple parties over the years. Usually they just invite a friend for dinner and we go out to a movie or go skating or something like that. If you are into those big parties, I think enough is enough by middle school age.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• On my own the big parties my kids used to have when they were little have "morphed" into having 3-4 friends over to go to the movies, an NC State basketball game, a Hurricanes hockey game, etc. I like to celebrate their birthday, but it's up to them how they choose to handle it. I do think a big party at 16 (especially for a girl) is a lot of fun!

Answer by missanc at 10:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would say until they hit sixteen and then at that age you can host a dinner party for a few of their friends
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• We stopped having big parties when they were about 10, now its turned into them having a couple friends stay over. My older son likes to invite two friends and we go to dinner and a movie and they stay over. Unfortunately every year on my younger son's birthday we are always at the state wrestling tournament, so he never gets a party. Usually the week he has a couple friends stay over and we order in pizza and watch movies. We use to the do the big huge family parties with their friends, but it was just too much.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My parents told me around 8 or so that I could either have $100 for my b-day or a party, not both...I ended up starting to choose the $100 when I felt I was too old for the parties. That way, we got to choose for ourselves and it wasn't any pressure.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• when my kids decide they dont want anymore. mine are 9 and 8 and still love helping me plan their parties!!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 8:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• 13. Then he gets one at 16, 18 and 21. After that he is on his own.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My boys ae 12 and 13. They invite however many friends over that they want to sleepover. I make snacks for them (up to $50 in food/drink), and they spend the evening playing video games, playing "manhunt" outside, playing basketball or soccer, then they crash about 4am. they sleep in til 11 or so and i make a big brunch with tons of homemade pancakes. Their friends LOVE coming over to their parties =)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• *are*, not ae lol
    AprilDJC