does croup turn into a terrible cold?

My son was diagnosed with croup on tuesday but a mild form. That night he barked coughed but since that night he has had a mucus like cough. Is this normal for croup to turn to this? I thought once the barking cough was over he'd be better. He started running a low grade temp last night too. His appetite is still very low since we found out he had croup. This week has just been very long and exhausting both for my 2 year old and me. I just want my lil guy to feel better.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Croup is a virus and it can trigger a secondary infection. Call the pediatrician and discuss it with them.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• both mine would get a cold,,, then instantly,,, it would be CROUP!,,,,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 10:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• your mild form of croup could have developed into a more serious form of croup. Croup has that loud barking cough. Try sitting in the bathroom with him with turn your shower on hot. The steam can help. If you feel it is getting much worse I would consult your doctor,
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011