teenage sisters sharing rooms?

if any of you had a sister and had to share a bedroom with her growing up, please feel free to share your experience with this!

the reason id like to know is: were moving to a new house in february. its a great house, plenty of room for everyone and 2 story. the only problem is, the bedrooms are tiny! the master bedroom is fine, but the 2 other bedrooms are small. right now there is a crib and toddler bed in it (its my moms house and they're buying a new one so we're renting to own their old one, this is how i know the functional size) and it takes up most of the space.

my children are only 4, 2, and 1 so right now its not a problem. the house is 3 bedroom, my oldest will have her own room (she has a twin size bed, dresser and toy organizer that will probably take up the whole room) and the younger two will share. when they're older ill probably get bunkbeds. but not sure how this is going to work when they're teens and have to share a closet and a dresser!

there is an extra room downstairs, for now it will be the "game room". most of their toys, an extra couch and tv, the computer, hubby's guitars, and such will be in that room. a few years down the road i plan to make it a formal dining room for special occasions. i could most definitely turn it into a bedroom when the children are teenagers, but i dont know if i like the idea of when of them being downstairs and being able to sneak out or whatever in the middle of the night and i cant hear her. i dont think they would, but i know i would feel more comfortable with everyone upstairs. and i dont think hubby would give up our master bedroom and make the downstairs room our room, either. so chances are as teens the younger two will still be sharing.

in your experiences, did this cause any problems/resentments? i know sometimes everyone needs personal space, too, especially teenagers. where will the younger two be able to unwind if she has to share a room with her sister? or am i reading too much into this??

thanks in advance!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Kids do what they have to do. My sister and I shared a room and my brothers shared a room. It is what it is. They won't question it if you don't make a big deal about it.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I shared a room with my sis up until I left my parents house to get married. It never created resentment; we are the closest of friends. Yes, we all need our personal space but we also have to learn how to live and get along with others. How do kids who've never had to share a room deal once the go off to college and get the roommate from hell?? I've never understood the concept that each child has to have their own room. And as far as kids sneaking out, if they're hell bent on doing it, they will regardless of where their room is in the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have a 14yo and a 17yo that share a room. It looks like it blew up in there a lot of the time but they make it work. I have an additional closet that our oldest uses 1/2 of for her clothes. They are very limited on drawer and closet space. I'm trying to get them to put the beds back together as bunk beds so they'll have more rooom but they haven't yet. When I was growing up I always had my own room and slept there sometimes but usually I went and slept with my sister. Hope it helps.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I grew up having to share a room with my mom and my brothers (4 of them) all had to share one room It was big enough but they all had to share it. My dh's family had 5 kids and a three bedroom house 3 girls in one room and 2 boys in the other they had this arrangement until they moved out of the house.. This used to be a common thing but now it seems that people think each child has to have their own room, I think sharing makes siblings closer. I don't think you need to concerned that it will be a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I didn't share a room, but with the kids that I knew that did, none were thrilled about it.
    in a lot of cases one of them ended up taking over the sofa, but all in all it worked out one way or another.

I'd have slept in the hallway before sleeping in the same room with my sister.

but I know there are people out there who feel they are better for the experience.
    who knows, you may not even be in the same house when they are teenagers. I wouldn't worry so much about it now!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• oh, and their was no resentment, like I said I think it created a closeness that wouldn't have been there if everyone had their own room
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I shared a room with my sister and although I wasn't happy about it to begin with I think eventually it brought us closer. Our mom had just gotten remarried and they had adopted 2 boys from Ghana, there weer a lot of changes and I remember when things would get particularly crazy, my sister crawling in bed with me and we would just talk. Later when we moved to a new house we had a tri level with a bedroom downstairs that was mine. I knew my mom could have made me have a room upstairs and it was a privilege to have that room away from everyone. I had a wonderful relationship with my mom and never felt the need to sneak out, if I wanted to go somewhere I asked and I was a responsible enough kids that my mom usually let me go.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 12:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I know when my sister and I shared a room we always fought. We had bunk bed at one point and it was a fight with her climbing up and down the bed. So it is really up to the kids. if they get along well then they will probably do well but my sister and i always fought.; so it didnt work out very well
    CLLeverton

Answer by CLLeverton at 12:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would have killed my sister if we had shared a room. We couldn't stand each other till we were both in college. We still fight a lot. We are almost complete opposites and way too close in age. We both resented each other. It wouldn't have worked for us. That being said our younger brothers had to share a room up till I went to college so they were in their teens before they got their own rooms. They mostly did well with it and are still pretty close. They had thier moments but it worked for them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• All 3 of us girls shared a room growing up. It was what it was. I never had a problem with it.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2011