Is it possible to get pregnant from the IUD in the first month or two?

I was just wondering because I haven't got my "aunt flo" yet and it's been like 5 or 6 weeks, no spotting or anything....

sweetmissy_05

Asked by sweetmissy_05 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Health

• It is possible to get pregnant with an IUD. Like any form of birth control, it's not 100% effective.

If you are pregnant, it's critical to get the IUD removed as it will probably cause a miscarriage.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Are you breastfeeding? If so, that could be doing it (I know it took me forever to get mine when I breastfed Beth). Also, you just had a baby, so maybe that's upsetting your body and it just needs to get back to normal. I don't know anything about IUDs, though, so maybe you should give your doctor a ring or get a pregnancy test. I hope not, for your sake--you just had a baby!
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 1:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Also I have heard of women with IUD having irregular periods. (Missing or continous periods). If you have any pregnancy symptoms call your doctor.
    Deanna14

Answer by Deanna14 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Thanks for the replies. I'm not breastfeeding but I go see my doctor tomorrow for a follow up visit and I was just going to make sure...I just don't know how long it's supposed to take to get in your system all the way and take away the periods...so we'll have to see tomorrow....I hope I'm not pregnant cus yeah Sydney is only 2 1/2 months old!
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2008