The subway rat

Today show keeps playing this video over and over. Would you be (are you) comfortable riding on the subway watching this? It's the difference between "knowing" the rats are around and having it right up where you can see it like that.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No subways around here, but kind of a funny video. I saw it this morning. Kind of the same concept as CM in regards to your last statement. I do like how the guy went back to sleep. Shrug it off.

zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 11:09 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The way that the rat ran up that guy I thought it was his pet , that had gotten loose. But that guy wouldn't have been sleeping if I was there~~~ I WOULD HAVE BEEN FREAKING OUT OMG~~~ LETS just say I do not do will around the RODENT KIND---EWWWWWWW
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Ugh... That gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking of that potentially diseased thing getting in that man's face! *shudder*
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I live in the city so we've got rats in the yard all the time. I hate when i can see thier tiny footprints and the marks thier tails in the snow on my porch and sometimes the hide in our BBQ in the summer.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Ick. I've seen them in subway tunnels when I've been to the city but not on the train. I wouldn't freak or anything though. I reserve that for snakes and spiders.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I reserve that for snakes and spiders.

Generally speaking, snakes and spiders wouldn't bother me - but I think anything that was brave enough to climb right up a person instead of run away and hide would bother me, regardless of species.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I've only been to NYC once for one of my best friend's wedding, and we rode the subway several times. I would not go to sleep on a subway or turn my back on anyone for long, but I generally felt comfortable there even when we rode the subway at 2 am since we were in a group. My BIL actually lost his wallet that weekend, and someone found it and called his dad (his number was in the wallet) to track him down to get the wallet back to him. I thought that was pretty cool, and NOT what I would expect to happen if someone lost their wallet in NYC. :-) My friend works at one of the museums in Manhattan and has to ride the subway from Queens every day. She is always telling me (and posting about) crazy stuff she sees on the subway. I'd still ride them, because it's too expensive to get around NYC any other way besides walking the entire time, but I would not let my guard down while on them after all the stories I've heard.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• IMO, NYC is one of the very LAST places I would ever want to live in the US.... Dirty.... Crowded.... Rats..... No thanks...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Ugh. Rats are disease ridden. And anything that doesn't care your a human is definitely carrying disease of some kind. My new house had mice for a bit, and even though they are cute as hell, I firebombed the crap out of them. . .

figuratively speaking. We don't do mouse poisons or anything like that. Wouldn't want to kill my neighbor's cat.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2011