Do you allow your preteens to FaceBook?

sheer_heart

Asked by sheer_heart at 11:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I know that some ppl are gonna think im nuts...but my 7dd has one.....so do some of her school friends....all friends are approved by me....and if its a school friend then i call mom/dad and make sure that its ok to add their child to her friends list....she mostly uses it to keep in touch with her hlaf sister and brother whom she only sees once a month maybe....they are 14 and 9
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I didn't. My daughter is 14 now, and I still don't think it's a good idea for her.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No. The drama is too distracting. I have a 15 yo and 10 yo and I have seen first hand at what goes on internally in my 15 yo. The girls contantly download pictures while their friends (and no so good friends) compare themselves. It's not danger that concerns me. It is the peer pressure coming directly into your own livingroom. They deal with it all day at school so WHY let it into your precious family time at home until you absolutely have to (when they get older). My 10 yo older wants a cell phone and I refuse until middle school when she start playing sports and the peer pressure (to have one) is much higher than it is now. It is heartbreaking to me to see the affects of modern technology on our children. I really can't think of many positive things to say about it. If you decide to let her a FB page be aware that it will probably direct her attention off of more important things. One more thing to manage too : (
    stella257

Answer by stella257 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I won't when they are pre-teens.
    I know people who let their kids lie about their age and have accounts younger. One was 8 when she started on there.
    Makes me irritated, because I feel obligated to add them due to them being family. So I have to make them into a certain Censored list so they don't see what I say and post.
    By gum, it isn't a site for kids, and it irritates me to feel like I have to censor what I say because nieces and nephews are allowed by their parents to lie about their age.

*whew*
    Glad I got that off my chest, finally. That's been a-building.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No - my 9 and (almost) 11 year olds do not have a facebook account. They love to play the games on mine, but I don't see any reason for them to have one. My 10 year old goes to middle school next year and I'm expecting him to start wanting one more - I'm thinking 13.

Answer by missanc at 11:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• well you could create it and set it up to where only family is allowed
    ImHavingTwinz

Answer by ImHavingTwinz at 11:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Facebook and myspace have a age requirement to get on.but iam sick of seeing girls show flesh on their profile page no man needs to see that.even some grwon woman are doing it to.but i have a 21 and a 16 year old on facebook and i check to see what they post and if it inaproriate they will catch hell with me.because the fbi is catching on to how they view things on facebook.because what you post can get your page closed down.
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I let my 7 yr old play on some of the games on my account, but no account of her own until she is old enough.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My 11 year old has an account and uses it to chat with her friends. I don't allow her to have adult friends other than me and her dad because of those who find it offensive to have to "censor" their lives.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• no way ! theyre kids . . their social life is at school . when they take care of children all day & cnt see their friends .. go ahead
    benjaminsmadre

Answer by benjaminsmadre at 6:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011