Asthma and pets?

My child was diagnosed with Asthma. We have house pets and they are our children also. Does this mean I am to part with them? Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• No, you don't need to part with your pets. My Uncle has asthma and he has always had pets in his house. They vacuum daily, and brush their cats. Here is a website that might have more information. Sorry it did not come up as a link.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/asthma/living-with-pets-and-asthma.aspx
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• There is allergy meds they can take.. not sure how old your child/children are but they could get shots or an inhaler also.. good luck.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No not necessarily. However to help keep pet dandruff down vacuum every day. Keep them away from your child if he/she is allergic to it. If at anytime your child gets worse then yes I would say you are going to have to let them go. Good-Luck.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 11:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Teach your child to wash hands after touching the animals... and keep the animals out of your child's room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• When we brought my son home from a week in the PICU after complete respiratory failure from asthma and exacerbated by allergies we were faced with this very dilemma. After allergy testing our family made the decision to re-home our pets. Depending on the severity of your child's reaction and the advice of your Dr. you may be faced with some hard decisions. When it became clear that the pets were a major issue for my son, the decision became much easier to make, we took some time and found wonderful homes for our dog and 2 cats, even stayed in touch with the new owners for the lives of the pets. Now that my son is grown, he is around animals and has mild reactions (runny eyes, sneezing) but no asthma attacks.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My mom suffers from asthma (really bad, uses inhalers twice daily) and she has plenty of pets. Just make sure your child washes their hands after handling the pets and if they have an inhaler make sure they know how to use it.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2011