How long should I cook this for in the slow cooker

My family loves ground meat and pasta, I was thinking about making one day in the slow cooker ground meat, pasta and sauce. I have cooked meat in the slower cooker before I made meatballs and they turn out really good but I have never cooked pasta in the slower cooker before and I have some questions. How long do I cooked uncooked pasta along with meat and sauce for, and is it better to cook the pasta first then put in the crockpot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'd cook the meat & sauce, boil the pasta on the stove like normal and just mix it at the end. Pasta gets mushy in the crock pot, especially if you cook it too long. It's too finicky for the crock pot IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Agreed with the anon poster. The crockpot cooking time is too long for pasta, it tends to get way too mushy to taste good. if you want the two to cook together for awhile, boil and drain the pasta, then mix into the meat and sauce in the crock and cook for about 10-20 minutes max.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• What anon said, unless you want to do a crock pot lasagna.  This is the base recipe I use, but I tweak it a bit:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=562268

I use bulk turkey sausage instead of just ground turkey, I use tomato puree instead of pre-canned sauce, and I use more mozarella and skip the cottage cheese.  As long as you don't over cook it, the noodles come out just right.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011