Solids

My ds is 4 months old and just started cereal Tuesday. He HATES it, and spits it out and doesn't know what to do with it yet, which is expected, but, I keep trying and he screams because he wants the bottle and refuses to swallow the cereal w/o me putting the bottle in his mouth. Am I doing something wrong, will he get the hang of it, or will he continue to just want the bottle?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 11:53 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will get the hang of it! It's just a different texture and he just needs to get used to it. Maybe put a little in his bottle to make it thicker so he can get used to the texture. ;o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 11:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Sounds like he is just not ready for cereal yet. A lot of babies aren't ready until they are closer to 6 months.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• These days, popular opinion is to not begin solids until 6 months. I would hold off and try again when your baby is older.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Since you say bottle then I am guessing you are not breastfeeding. On formula the recommendation is 4-6 months to start cereal, but it sounds like your little guy is not ready yet. Personally I feel cereal is a waste of time and we followed "baby led weaning", but that is not for everyone. I would wait a few weeks and try again. Forcing them to eat it only sets you up for future food battles. I do not feel a child should ever be forced to eat things and that is essentially what you are doing at 4 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• He might not be ready...take a break with it.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Back off... and when you try solids again, try something tasty like banana or avocado. Baby cereal really tastes icky. It's a wonder how we haven't driven kids into anorexia with it! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It sounds like he's not ready. I'd stop, and *personally* wouldn't try to introduce until 6 mos at least. You DON'T need to use cereal either, gdiamante is right on point with her suggestion.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011