Do photos stay in your computers memory even if you delete them?

I had taken some photos for my husbands eyes only.Now i need to take the computer to be worked on.I deleted the photos but would someone be able to still see them.If so is their a way to totally delete them off the computer.

FreeFall

Asked by FreeFall at 11:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Technology

• They stay in the computer even if you can no longer see them or access them and the only way to get rid of them is to destroy the hard drive.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• A computer person might be able to retrieve the photos.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• omg...i have no clue! bump
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• (make sure you delete from recycle bin)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• EWW..I would seriously be mortified if anyone else saw those pics.Please bump if you don't have an answer.Maybe someone else does.
    FreeFall

Comment by FreeFall (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yep. A lot of information can be retrieved by someone who knows what he/she is doing. My husband bought a boat magnet for this purpose. Whenever we have a computer crash or it's time to get rid of it for whatever reason, he sticks the boat magnet on the computer and that wipes it...completely destroys it beyond hope. If you think this might be a good option you might also look for a dock magnet or underwater retrieving magnet. They're all the same thing.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Even after formatting things can still remain on the computer. My husband formatted a computer for someone his mom knew and lets just say some pretty bad photos came up while he was reinstalling everything. And they were still there the third time he formatted.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with mommy_of_two.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Absolutely EVERYTHING you have ever done on your computer can be retrieved, even after it's been deleted. The most extreme thing one can do, short of destroying the hard drive with a sledge hammer, is to wipe the entire drive. But, this means loosing EVERYTHING, including programs. Wiping is non-discriminating. You can't wipe away only the bad. And, even then, a really good computer guru can still retrieve information. Many a "deleted" and/or "wiped" hard drive have been used as court evidence. The bottom line is...If it's something you don't EVER want ANYONE else to ever know or see...DON'T PUT IT ON A COMPUTER!!!!!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• To really delete the file, shift and delete, not just delete and it's still there in pieces and the right person can find it and put it back together. If you really want to make it hard for them, add a bunch of programs and delete them, the more deleted stuff, the harder it is to put it all back together.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2011