Crying

My son is 4 mo and sometimes cries just to cry, I hold him and he stops, but my mother says I should let him cry because I'm going to spoil him and make him a cry baby. I don't want him to get used to HAVING to be held but I don't like letting him cry either. What should I do?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 12:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I say keep holding him. I think 4 months is a little yonug to do the cry it out method.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'd hold him
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Will he get used to that and become spoiled?
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• There is NO SUCH THING as spoiling an infant!!! I hate hearing that stupid saying! Babies cry because they have needs, even if the need is just to be close to someone! If you need your hands, wear him in a Moby Wrap or Ergo Baby or some other carrier. But keep on holding that baby!!!!!!! ;o)
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, as he gets older you can try the CIO method but I did that with both my kids and they arent spoiled at all.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'd hold him as long as he will let you:)
    MNsMOMMY2007

Answer by MNsMOMMY2007 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Hold him, at that age, they are looking for closeness. Hold that baby for as long as you can because soon enough, he will want to be down on the ground crawling around. ;o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 12:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't agree with your mom,I had 2 kids cry just to be crying at that age and they are not spoiled. I say hold him and comfort him.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Keep holding him. Babies are not manipulative. If he is crying he is telling you he needs something from you- even if that is just to be held and be close. Contrary to what some people say. You can not spoil a baby by holding them. By responding to his crys you are reaffirming to him that you are there for him and he is not alone.
    I didn't let either of my kids cry it out. Yea sometimes it is frustrating when they are little and want/need you all the time. But it is a way to confirm to him that you are there. Definatly keep holding him and don't let him cry it out.
    Blessings
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with others, holding your child will not spoil them.. no, he won't get used to it, he will seek it for comfort like others do but he's a baby for such a short time also, my son is 3 and I am lucky if and when I get a simple hug each day..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011