What does a 17.5 progesterone level mean?

When I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago, they said that the pee test came back negative, but to tell for sure if I was preggo, they could do a blood test. Well, all they told me was that my progesterone level was 17.5 and that was a good sign that I had ovulated. I am so confused as to wha that meant. I just started to bleed yesterday, but not sure if it is my period or implantation bleeding? Has anyone else experienced this and has any answers. If it is implantation bleeding, how long will it last? Can a pregnancy test give a positive result before implantation. Sorry for the dumb questions, but I really am confused about a lot of this and want to know if there is a chance I could be preggo. Thanks.

mokteacher

Asked by mokteacher at 12:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• If it's implantation it will last a day or two and be light. No, you will not get a positive before the egg implants. The HCG a pregnancy test detects is made by the placenta. Therefore the egg NEEDS to be implanted so the placenta can develop and make the hormone. Then you need to allow it to make enough to register on a test. It will show in the blood before it shows in the urine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Progesterone is a hormone needed to maintain a pregnancy. Your body is making it so you ovulated, but it's unclear if the egg was fertilized or not. If the number remains low miscarriage can occur. But I do not remember the exact numbers from the top of my head. I would have to look them up again.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I just went online and googled, progesterone levels. It is a table of the levels that you can be at before and during pregnancy. Hope that helps!
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 9:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011