Any suggestions??

My daughter(21 months) refuses to sleep longer than an hour or two and then she will
scream her head off, I'm confused because she's been a great sleeper since birth...Here recently she has had some trouble staying asleep until morning, some days she will go to bed and stay asleep and then other days she will just sit in her crib screaming to the top of her lungs...I know that you are suppose to try to let them calm themselves down or soothe themselves back to sleep I try to wait her out but she doesnt stop so i have no choice but to go get her which starts a pattern of "hey if i scream and cry long enough mom will come and get me" plus I have 2 other children and a husband that has to get up early for work so I throw in the towel just so they can get their sleep.....I dont know what to do...She needs her sleep
Is there something wrong??? Is this a phase she's going through???

armywife2bnm

Asked by armywife2bnm at 12:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son started going through this almost the day he turned 2.. although he was never a great sleeper, I retried all the infant methods I used when he was an infant, night lights, dream catchers, special bed, bedding, stuffed animal etc.. we "think" he gets pretty bad growing pains but only realized that lately since he can verbally tell me that his legs are hurting and he gets SUPER restless, well the time he was 2-1/2 and after us both battling this for 6 straight months, I caved and ended up in his bed..he would go to sleep fine but needed me there during the nights.. its what I had/have to do to keep all of our sanity.. that's the only way I can think to look at this.. we've since tried melatonin which only made things worse.. he has 3 nightlights and sleeps with a flashlight (mini led) because now we are going through a monster phase...lol!! good luck.. at this point, just do what works..!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If allowing your child to sleep with you is a solution - I am all for it. You all need your sleep. It's not like she'll be 12 and still sleeping with you.......BUT also, I would try to reallly pay attention to any possible reason she can't sleep for more than an hour....there has GOT to be a reason. So don't overlook it because you think she just wants attention or something like that.... My sister is a child therapist and I have a psychology degree and what I learned from my education and from my sister is that experts look at a child's sleep patterns to diagnose psychological and physical disturbances. Did some trauma happen in the home? It's not okay for your daughter to not sleep. I would really really really be concerned.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 16, 2011