How old does a child have to be...........

to stay at home by themselves overnight. My daughter is 12 and has stayed home alone befor during the day and yeah sometimes at night but not on a constant
bases. As for my child, I trust her and know she is responsible to do it BUT I don't
know what others would say.
In the state I live in there is no age and kids at 12 can even go to the college to learn CPR to watch other kids.........soooo???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I suppose it depends on the child. I know some states have laws, but consider this. If she were home alone for the night and someone broke in, what would she do? How would you feel? Not to scare you, but it is a very real thought.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would say 15-16. I wouldn't want to leave a 12 year old alone at night, personally.
    Again, you know how mature she is. But there may be some situations she just wouldn't know how to handle. knowing CPR at 12 doesn't make you a good babysitter, KWIM??
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I wouldn't leave a child home alone until at least 16. My parents left me home alone and I don't even want to mention the things I did. lol
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• 15 to 16. old enough.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 9:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have had 3 boys and the boys I wouldnt leave them home alone until about 16 or 17 and then only for a few hours. I have left 2 of them together at the age of about 15 or 16. But not alone. Now I have one now that is 14 and I wouldnt leave him alone during the day for even a couple hours.
    When I was 12 I babysat for a lady during the day while she slept in the same house and by myself at night by the age of 14. But I do believe that it is a law you cant leave them home alone here until age 11. I think that if you do leave them home alone and something happens you can still be charged with neglect or worse if something happens to them.
    Anonymous

• In most states the age is set at 12 years old to be alone by themselves day or night. Make sure they know all the routines and what to do for an emergency and that they are responsible enough to follow them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• 12 sounds young but i don't remember when i started letting mine stay home maybe cause they always had someone in the home. i'm thinking 13
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If she's alright with being alone, you know, you're her mother, It's legally ok. Is she trust worthy? Do you think she'll have wild parties while you're gone? Trust your heart, give her a chance to be responsible. I'm sure she'll rise to the occasion.

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I know in my state children can not be left home alone until they are 12. I am not sure about staying alone over night. For me I would not leave my 12 year old over night alone. I trust him and do not think he would get in trouble, I just don't know that I trust everyone else. I also know that my son would not like being in our house alone all night by himself.

You have to do what is best for your family . If you are both okay with it then I would say let her do it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• it would be up to you. I would talk to your child and see if she/he is ready to be left alone. Write down a series of questions and review the answer.
    lilmama1971

Answer by lilmama1971 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008