Is there a such thing as good gossip?

I was reading in a post a few weeks back and someone stated that "gossip" can be good. When I looked up gossip in the dictionary it said...

Gossip: 1.idle talk or rumor about others' private affairs. (www.dictionary.com)

Now just because I know "idle" can be challenged, idle means

Idle: 1. not active
2. worthless
3.lazy

So with that understanding can there be a such thing as good gossip and if so why does scripture say gossip is a bad thing?

*I don't want to "ARGUE" anyone views or opinions because I believe you can't. I would just like an answer*

All the ladies that have made commits thus far I respect your opinions. Now some of them I don't agree with but I respect them non the less. I still don't understand how you can take the defintion up above (gossip) and make it mean something different than what it is... are we then letting the word above stand it's true meaning or are we changing it to accomodate us? If so are we not doing that with the scriptures in the bible as well?

prissysayshi

Asked by prissysayshi at 12:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No there isn't, because gossip is never accurate.  Every time it is repeated it becomes further embellished, meaning it bears little resemblance to the original rumour (which probably wasn't accurate to begin with).

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, but in that question there was such a thing as trying to redefine gossip rather than be guilty of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I believe in your gossiping is positive (though it rarely is) it could be good. Like, sometimes I've caught myself sharing some good news about people and questioned whether it was in fact gossip because whomever I was sharing about was not present and it maybe wasn't super important stuff but I was just happy for her/him/them.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I guess if you want to use the exact definition of gossip, then no, it isn't good. But if you are using the term gossip loosely then I would say yes. I have a large group of friends and we "gossip" about each other. We spread the news when someone is pregnant, gets a new job, meets a new guy, and no one considers it a bad thing.....

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Ha ha no, either way people know your business (whether its true or not). ;)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Nope. Even if it is good news, it is still up to the individual to share their life with others.
    I have never understood loose lipped women who jabber about the affairs of others.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yeah, No I really don't think there is such a thing as "Good gossip". People's private lives are their own to share, if it's THAT important that you're concerned for the well-being of the person based on what they have shared with you(such as abuse etc) then you contact the authorities NOT your social circle.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Ah. That was a fun night.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes there is....

Answer by older at 1:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No.
    NYMOM12

Answer by NYMOM12 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011