My high school baby-sitter was telling me that she gets bladder infections from tampons..Is this true?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Health

• Sex isn't the only thing that causes bladder infections. Bladder infections come from bacteria, period. It can happen with sex, without sex. Even children get bladder infections and I would sure as hope they're not having sex.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• from what I've heard it can affect the bladder, and a tampon can raise the level of bacteria. bacteria can help bring about a bladder infection.

I've never heard of someone getting a bladder infection from another person.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Tampons can, in fact, cause bladder infections. Sex can cause the same thing.
    It has nothing to do with "catching it" from another, but it has everything to do with bacteria being forced up into the urethra.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Of course you can!
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• seriously??? sex causes bladder infections in both men and women. if a man has poor hygiene down there or you just did it after he did a workout or something you will get a bladder infection
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You're getting health advice from a teenager??

Ok.. listen. If she is having recurring infections, she is either A-not washing her hands properly B- not washing her cooch properly C-not wiping properly D- not changing her tampon often enough or all of the above. She needs a hygiene lesson, and you have to stop listening to health advice from ignorant kids. Many of them believe you can get pregnant from sitting on a toilet seat after a boy..LOL.
    And for the record, yes, sex does increase the risk of bladder infections, because the man introduces new bacteria to the area. In fact, just fooling around can cause it, because most men don't know and weren't taught "Front to back, never back to front" like we have been.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• She also may want to watch her diet and consume more water to flush toxins out of her system. Poor diet can contribute to bladder infections as well as oral contraceptives, stress and more. The implication that she is getting a bladder infection from someone might be a little overboard... let's stick with the basics.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 1:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• bladder infection are cause from many differnt things
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• even bathing in soapy water can cause bladder infections, my aunt used to get them from bubble bath
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• @ brandyi..no I'm ot getting advice from my teenage baby-sitter...She kept saying she couldn't baby-sit b/c she was getting bladder infections & I made the comment that boy you sure have gotten allot of them lately & she said yah it's from tampons!

girliemom0406

Comment by girliemom0406 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2011