What do you think prevents people from wanting to REALLY know about other people, cultures, etc?

This is a sincere question. I would appreciate intelligent, thoughtful responses. I just know a lot of people who seem to have their heads stuck in the sand...like nothing exists outside of their smalltown lifestyles. Many of them have never even KNOWN a black person or a Muslim or an Indian or a Native American, etc. but they have extraordinarily negative opinions about everything outside of what they know. I wouldn't even call it racism sometimes because how could they possibly KNOW enough to have developed such a hateful, diseased thing as racism?

BTW, I didn't know where to put this besides Religion & Beliefs...

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 12:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe it's the fear of finding out that we, as Americans & as Christians, are taught to be tunnel-visioned. We are led to believe that what the preacher says is the only right. We're led to believe that what our government tells us is the ultimate truth. I believe that EVERYONE should have an out-of-country experience. Truly experience another culture/religion. My grandparents took me to Cairo, Egypt with them for a year. Opened my eyes to some true reality. One being, that what our government calls "3rd world" isn't ALL MILITANT. That even though someone else's religion goes a different direction, the ultimate goal is the same in the end, regardless of how we choose to get there. There's a lot to be learned from other cultures besides ours. But, as I said, people are afraid to find out that they have fallen prey to being "sheep".
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• fear - of the unknown, or of being "wrong", or of finding out things they were taught to believe might be wrong (which has the extra baggage of meaning your parents, etc were wrong)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Fear... but also, frankly... laziness. Learning is work, and some people just don't want to do the work.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• yep, i was going to say, they are plain and simply scared, of what other people think and how they will be bashed to shreds
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 12:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Refusal to admit ignorance. Probably because said ignorance was taught by a trusted loved one, such as a parent.
    One day, I have hope that everyone will start to think for themselves and try to see life through fresh eyes.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Fear, laziness, and 'Im American!!! Bigger than the world' attitude. Frankly, everyone is taught to be proud to be an American and were the richest country in the world and everyone else is poor and uncivilized. People at an early age are sheltered from other cultures.
    Anonymous

• I think it's fear. Feeling uncomfortable out of the comfort zones.....It isn't unique to small town white people....person's of many cultures suffer the same problem...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• ignorance and the fear of accepting change.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think some people are just happy with the status quo of their lives, some are just busy and some just have no interest in spreading their wings.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• laziness, easier to "hate" the unknown, fear of being faced with their own prejudices,
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011