Mrs. Obama's Message

Mrs. Obama talks tolerance in open letter to parents

Thu Jan 13, 7:48 pm ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) – First Lady Michelle Obama on Thursday urged parents to teach their children tolerance in response to the deadly Tucson shooting spree that touched off debate about political rhetoric.

Mrs. Obama, who joined her husband at a memorial service for the victims Wednesday, issued an open letter to parents. Children are struggling, she said, to make sense of Saturday's shooting that killed six and left 14 injured, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

"We can teach them the value of tolerance -- the practice of assuming the best, rather than the worst, about those around us," she wrote. "We can teach them to give others the benefit of the doubt, particularly those with whom they disagree."

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 12:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "It's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds," the president told the audience at the University of Arizona convention hall.

The first lady said that message can be passed along to American children.

"We can explain to them that although we might not always agree with those who represent us, anyone who enters public life does so because they love their country and want to serve it," she wrote.

Some liberals have claimed that the tragedy is linked to a climate of hate whipped up by conservative political figures like Sarah Palin. The former Republican vice presidential candidate rejected any responsibility, saying "acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own."

Thoughts?
    mustbeGRACE

Comment by mustbeGRACE (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Children are struggling, she said, to make sense of Saturday's shooting

My 9 year old daughter has asked about it....   : (

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Is she wanting people to tolerate crazies who disrupt classes, make death threats to schools, and radio stations? While her message of tolerance is admirable, I don't see how her message correlates to the shooter/shootings.  The message should be, don't be afraid to notify authorities of people who act crazy and display paranoid behavior..  That is the REAL message from these shootings... jmo..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Sounds good to me.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I took it more that she was talking about the political talk after the shootings, rather than the shooting itself.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yea Super, perhaps... Speaking for my family~ my kids haven't been exposed to the political talk that occured afterwards... As a parent, I don't think the BS spewed is age appropriate content for a 6 and 9 year old jmo..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

•  

Yea Super, perhaps... Speaking for my family~ my kids haven't been exposed to the political talk that occured afterwards... As a parent, I don't think the BS spewed is age appropriate content for a 6 and 9 year old jmo..

O nice..a dig.

my daughter doesn't watch either, but she did hear about a 9 year old girl getting killed. and she did ask.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It wasn't a dig.. It was my opinion of MY family.. to each their own.. Geeze, relax.... A 9 year old was killed... But it was NOT because of a lack of tolerance.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Look at it from the angle of someone who believes that the political rhetoric was the cause of this guy shooting those people..

That is how mrs O sees it..of course forgetting all about her husbands past comments ...out of sight out of mind..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

Mrs Obama didnt suggest the killing had anything to do with intolerance....geez relax
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011