what do you tell your kids about death? adult content

my sister and I tease my mom that if someone or a animal died, no matter what she'd say 'it died of old age'

when we realized what hamburgers used to be, she'd say the cow died of old age.

you get the idea-

anyone else?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• the truth, and nothing but the truth, we all go to heaven one day,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 12:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The truth.
    Life is hard enough without being confused about what death really is.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 12:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The age appropriate truth.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It's tough in my house. My husband is pretty much an athiest yet our son goes to a private Christian school. My kids had their 1st brush w/ death in 2010 when grandma's dog died. It was tough for them to process because it was almost impossible to explain how a 200+ pound dog just disappeared from the house. Just when they started to "get it" stupid ass grandma replaced the dog.... NOT the message I wanted to convey. ... I am just about "heaven" right now and answer questions slowly/carefully if they ask.

as far as burgers go we say some animals are made to be friends/pets and others food for our bodies.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The honest truth. I tell them we kill the cows to make hamburgers, that they are raised for that reason. When something dies, it is gone. The body decomposes and thats that. My kids are ok with that explanation. My parents dog and two cats died last winter, they were close to those animals. They just periodically say they miss them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the ttuth.

When we die, our bodies simply stop working- kind of like when a car runs out of gas, but you can't refuel your body. You do not go anywhere after you die, you simply cease to exist. Your body decomposes and becomes part of the earth, and food to other organisms. Everyone will someday die, when they are old, if they are very sick and doctors can not help them, or if they have an accident which can not be helped. We do not know when we will die, all we can do is live while we are here.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011