How do I get my three year old to start potty training?

My son absolutly refuses to sit on the "big boy potty". I know everyone says every kid is different and learns at a different time but I can't help but notice every kid I meet thats his age or younger is atleast in training pants. I try getting him to just sit on the potty and he refuses to! I need help three years of diapers is too much for me!

mom_at16

Asked by mom_at16 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• absolutely donate or toss the diapers and have him watch/help. get yourself to target with him and let him choose a few packs of undies of his favorite characters. pulls for night time is your choice....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• what I did w/ my son was have a 3 day intense potty bootcamp. you need salty snacks (popcorn, pretzels, etc) and lots of drinks (water, juice with silly straws, etc) and a timer of some variety. It's all about training his muscles and it takes time.... and prepare for a couple accidents here or there. It'd be the same if you were teaching a puppy to go outside. They've never done it before and it's weird/scary/strange. GOOD LUCK!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son would not go on the potty. So I used a reward system to get him interested. He started to wear pull ups at all times. If he went on the toilet, he got a treat. After a couple of weeks, he had to fill up the week with stickers, at least one a day, and he got a toy from the store. (Hot Wheels are $.97) After that, the pull up had to be dry and he had to use the toilet to get a sticker. The more he went, we phased out the prizes. When he was pretty well established, I started the same thing with pooping. He liked privacy while pooping, so make that an option if necessary. I followed the same steps as potty and it worked great! Then he moved to undies all day, pull up at night. He is slow to wake up and he if FINALLY getting into the habit of hitting the bathroom ASAP in the morning. He is dry and has only had one accident through this entire process! Good luck, try to make it fun and his idea!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't have any advice, my son is also 3 and he isn't trained yet either....
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my son didn't want any thing to do with the big potty too,kept buying him pull ups,used to try the reward system and that didn't work all the time,just one day he said no to the pull ups and put on his big boy underwear and just started using the potty,good luck with it
    karma1432

Answer by karma1432 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I learned this the hard way.. dont push! They will go on the potty only when they are ready.
    Of course pressure from parents is one thing.. pressure from peers is another.
    My son took a huge leap in the pt department just attending preschool and being around other kids who are trained.
    yvonne518

Answer by yvonne518 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I heard it is a lot harder to potty train boys then it is girls and the longer you wait to potty train the harder it is I had my daughter potty trained at 1yr 3mos I made her sit on it until she pee then gave her a treat I MADE her sit on it till then because they don't know that is what it is for it only took four days before she stopped peeing on herself. I mean she threw a lot of fits you just have to deal with that part of it because if you want to stop changing and buying diapers you can get passed the fits.
    JBFamily

Answer by JBFamily at 2:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You can't push but as a reward for trying let him run around naked as much as possible, little boys love doing that. If he makes a mess have him help you wipe it up.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011