Your Method of Teaching...

What teaching methods are you currently using or have used in the past that helped your little one catch on and master basic fundamentals and skills? I don't want to be too hard on our two year old daughter to learn how to recognize her letters and shapes and colors. She can spell her name out loud and knows her name when it is on paper or the board...I think she is just memorizing though.

MrsJStearns

Asked by MrsJStearns at 1:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's memorizing bc that's all she knows at this stage. Don't push her so hard. She will continue to learn the wrong way and it will be harder on her when she's expected to learn correctly when she's older. Just let her be a little kid for now. Playing is all she should be learning for now
    Anonymous

• when my oldest was 3, i bought some activity coloring books that broke down each and every letter, numbers 1-10, and a few shapes and colors. the book was very thick! but whenever we had a little extra time i'd sit down with her and let her trace stuff in the book. she was able to write her own name at 3, but again it's very short and only has 4 letters. now at 4, she can read, write, spell and recognize her name on paper. at 2 though, i think a lot of ways they learn is repetition. sing the alphabet with her and encourage her to sing it with you. count as much as possible, 3 green beans, 1 apple, 2 shoes, etc. then go on about the colors, the apple is red, your shoes are white, and encourage her to tell you what color they are by asking. if she doesn't know, that is okay. a lot of these things are not known until the age of 3 or 4. sounds to me like she's off to a great start though!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Your Little girl is doing a great job already my 3yr still cant spell his name and he really didnt start talking untill he was about 2 1/2 he already knew his shapes colors and other stuff just wouldnt talk lol.. But you can try flash cards it seemed to work with my son
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I teach thru everything. We are playing with blocks, what color is that block? Coloring-what color? Reading books about letters, numbers, colors, shapes, etc. I include some kind of learning in all we do and if she does get TV time, it's sesame street. She is 2 and knows all numbers, shapes, colors, and about 80% of her alphabet. Every kid is different though. I wouldnt be hard on her at all. She is 2. Who knows too, she may not know it now (or verbalize that she knows it) but next month she will know a ton of it all at once. Good luck and try not to worry AS much. It will come and Im sure soon. :)
    KaileezMom

Answer by KaileezMom at 1:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Thanks for all of your comments!! She sings her alphabet, can count to thirty, and knows how to count to five in spanish (Thanks to Dora, lol) I think shehas a good start. I think it's more of me being hard on myself. My hubby works with 4th graders and some of them don't have strong parents at home who care about their education. So, I beat myself up to make sure I am doing what I am supposed to be doing to keep her on and above the level of learning she should be on! I really appreciate your thoughts and comments. God bless!
    MrsJStearns

Comment by MrsJStearns (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011