Is it normal for boys to go backwards with potty training more than once?!?

My son became potty trained when he was 2 1/2 (now 4 1/2). He did great until spring time (3 1/2) and then had accidents for awhile. He was doing good for prolly 6 mths and now haveing accidents again! I just dont know what to do anymore! He has always had a little issue with his underware being alittle wet all the time but would never fully pee his pants. Yesterday he had to change clothes 5 times! Im stressed and confused!

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son had a relapse when my husband deployed a few years ago. It was his first time dealing with deployment. The doctor told me it was from stress. So I retrained him. I made him go every hour. And I also got him up in the middle of the night. But he finally caught on again. He was 4 at the time. The second time my husband deployed he relapse but only at night. I did the same thing and he stopped wetting after like 3 weeks. So I think it helped that I just did the same things I did when I first potty trained him.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son relapsed twice during training and wasn't FULLY trained until he was 3 1/2.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm the mother of an 8 year old that didn't catch onto potty training bm's until he was 5. We had him tested for any problems with his bowels, but he was fine. Just didn't want to do it the right way. After 2 1/2 years, he has gone back to not wanting to poop,(1 week since last good bm) and we will spend this weekend doing the 'give him ex lax, and don't go anywhere far' treament. (per his primary) If this doesn't work, he will have to have ex ray's, and possible barium enema done.
    whitmomom

Answer by whitmomom at 2:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I didn't put the most important part. I have several relatives and friends that have had the same issues with their son's, (and one case, a daughter) It seems boy's are tougher to train. Something my granmother, a mother of 10 children, tell's us everytime we start potty training a boy.
    whitmomom

Answer by whitmomom at 2:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Thanks everyone! Its just frusterating because him and i both know he knows when he has to go and we both know he knows how to use the toilet. I think hes just being lazy....and hope soon he will stop wetting.
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have no idea..it's not unheard of, but I don't think it's a common thing, either. Bumping for you!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my son does that every once in awhile, but mainly when he's on meds. just remind him that he needs to use the potty and reward him when he does and take him to it and make him sit on it for awhile after an accident.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• FOR SOME KIDS IS NORMAL. TRY TO TALK WITH LOVE AND REMEMBER THE BOY TO GO TO THE TOILET ROOM IN THE MORNING, BEFORE BED AND IF YOU NEED TRAINNING PANT WORK IT. LUCK
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes this is common with boys all 3 of mine took some steps backwards in the process.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011