For teachers who work and have kids: After dealing w/ kids all day, how are you able to handle your own kids at night?

My 18 year old thinks she wants to teach elementary school; however, she wonders if she'll have any patience left at the end of the day for her own kids (when she is ready to start her own family).

CurlyKristin

Asked by CurlyKristin at 8:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

• When I was student teaching I had a 1 year old daughter. Even though I was so tired of dealing with kids all day...I couldn't wait to get home to my daughter! It is SOOOO different when you have your own kids. And no one can explain that feeling to you until you have a child of your own. If she wants to teach, tell her that she WILL have patience for her own kids!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 9:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Some days I am drop dead tired and out of patience but my own children bring out the best in me. I'm a better mother because I teach and I'm a better teacher because I'm a mother. I think about my children all day long. I respond to my students (pre-K) after thinking "how would I want a teacher to respond to my child in this situation?" Teaching is a time consuming profession but being home on holidays, spring break, and part of the summer (if you don't teach summer school, take classes...) makes up for some of the time you can't give your own children throughout the school year. Teaching is not just a job, it is a way of life. Let your daughter know that teaching is not one of those jobs that you leave at work at the end of the day. You always bring work home, either actual work or a lot on your mind. Best of luck to your daughter.
    busyteacher

Answer by busyteacher at 10:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• To me, it's as different as night and day! I couldn't wait to leave school to drive to my daughter's school and pick her up! This wasn't because I disliked the children I was teaching, but because I love my daughter so much. Teaching children was something I could share with my daughter, too, the stories.. the school system experience, etc. Now that my husband (her stepfather) teaches either the same grade or within a year of hers, it really is fun for our family. I agree with PP that teaching makes you a better parent and being a parent makes you a better teacher. You aren't a parent to the children in school, and you aren't your child's teacher (not exclusively anyway) :-)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i totally agree with busyteacher

i am a pre-k teacher as well and to be honest when i get home i am sooo tire and drain and really dont feel like dealing with my own kids but i do any way cause they have homework and they have to eat.

teching make me a wonderful mom and being a mom makes me a wonderful teacher...well said busyteacher
    i look forward to those breaks cause thats when i get to spend time with MY kids

I LOVE MY JOB i have been teaching for 10 years now
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 1:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008