Feds attempting to force card check?

The National Labor Relations Board is threatening to sue four states that recently approved amendments to their constitutions guaranteeing the right to a secret ballot in union elections.

The agency says the amendments conflict with federal law. Employers have the option to recognize a union if a majority of workers sign cards that support unionizing.

The amendments have already taken effect in South Dakota and Utah. They are expected to become effective soon in Arizona and South Carolina.

Business groups sought the amendments. They are concerned that Congress might enact legislation requiring employers to allow the "card check" process for forming unions instead of secret ballot elections.

Unions have long pushed for card check. But the bill has not garnered enough support in Congress.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110114/ap_on_re_us/us_unions_secret_ballots

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 1:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Holy F'n Cow......
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Does not surprise me. I own a small business and I am the only full time employee and any other workers are temp jobs when I have overflow work and the unions call and send me threatening letters that I have to give my employees that change to vote on a union. It does not matter how many times I say, I am the only employee and I vote NO! I even got one junk mailing looking postcards that said to sign to join and if I did not sign they assume I wanted to join and I owned them dues which I refuse to pay.
    KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 1:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have to reread that again.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• This is just one more piece of legislation that will make the unions bigger bullies than they already are. EFCA has been a business owner's nightmare since it came on the horizon.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Unions used to be a good thing, they fought for the working man, ended child labor, sweat shops, slave driver bosses...BUT they have truly outlived their usefulness for the "working man's" advancement. They are ALL so corrupt now, pandering to politicians with union dues meant to be used for the workers. One union ran up $275,000. in dining bills at a steakhouse for it's reps. we have a small flooring business, when our 2 employees say we can do better in a union. We tell them to go apply for a union job! We are ready to close due to government anyway.
    mommerbean

Answer by mommerbean at 2:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Unions are stinko.

We own a small business and you can imagine how I feel about unions.

Union members inside a business usually have to have something to hold over the boss's head, because it's not going to be brainpower or industriousness.

Why don't these examples of that wonderful work ethic start their own company instead of trying to take over someone else's? Thieves

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011