Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

taxes anyone know

so my husband and I are still legally married therefore when it comes to filing our taxes we wont be doing it together because he feels as if its not needed and i am ok with that my question is I made about 11,000 income last year and I will be claiming our 3 children do i still qualify for the EITC?? I know ill have to file married but seperate but I want to have an idea hnr block is where i go but they told me it would have been in our better favor to file together but im trying to avoid that now

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • you should still qualifie they tell you to file together because you can get better deductions as a married couple as im sure you know. But you should qualfie because your the one claiming the kids just make sure hes not going to try and claim them to. That is where you will get yourself in trouble.

    Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • You take a HUGE tax hit if you file married but separate - you will get so much more back filing jointly! But I don't know for sure what the limits are for the EITC. You could do your taxes on turbotax both ways (don't file them, just do the taxes) to see the difference.

    Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • I got this directly from the IRS website hope it helps:

    Q2. Who can claim the credit?

    A2. To claim the EITC on your tax return, you must meet all of the following rules: Must have a valid Social Security Number
    You must have earned income from employment or from self-employment.
    Your filing status cannot be married, filing separately.
    You must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year, or a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien and filing a joint return.
    You cannot be a qualifying child of another person.
    If you do not have a qualifying child, you must:
    be age 25 but under 65 at the end of the year,
    live in the United States for more than half the year, and
    not qualify as a dependent of another person
    Cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (related to foreign earn income)
    You must meet these EITC Income Limits, Maximum Credit Amounts and Tax Law Updates

    Answer by miamigrl86 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • thank you love so that means he wouldnt recieve it either ..... you would think he would be smarter but all well thanx ladies

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • The other thing is, if they live with you and you supply more than half the cost of their care you can file as Head of Household if you file separately. There is a huge advantage on your taxes.

    Answer by mamamoonbirth at 2:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • Is there no way for you guys to file together and split the difference?

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

  • Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).


    Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.