How long?

does it usually take for an infant's belly to get used to a new formula? i cannot remember with my 1st born..i thought it was a week. but my daughter is still spitting up..shes 6mths btw

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say that spitting up means they have had enough.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Depends.
    All babies spit up.. But if your daughter is spitting up after every meal then she's eating too fast or too much. If she's having other complications with it, it could be acid reflux. It may not be the formula itself persay, but your daughter.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• well when id give my daughter 5oz, shed always cry for more. so i gave her more...so were up to 7oz now..either way with 5oz or 7oz-she spits up. so i dont think she eats too much..I duno whats up
    JaydnsMom22

Comment by JaydnsMom22 (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Is she bothered by the spit up? Like, does she seem uncomfortable? And is she gaining weight? If she's gaining fine, and not bothered by the spit up, it's probably fine. I can't answer your original question though, as I have very little experience with formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son is the same way, it never phases him when he spits up but he does it all the time. For him it doesn't mean it's full it's just the way he is! :) I would say as long as your child has the right ammount of dirty diapers and sleeping ok and gaining weight and doesn't seem bothered by the spit up, then don't worry! :)
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 3:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Do you burp mid feeding? Sometimes, if they chug, they get air bubbles in their stomach that their bodies can't handle yet, so it makes them spit up. I was told to burp my son every 2 oz. until he kind of got the hang of it on his own. I would try that for a bit to see if it helps. I used to just sit him up and tap him on the back a few times and see if he had to burp...if he didn't, I would just keep feeding him, but don't feel like you have to get a burp out each time you try after 2 oz. Hope this helps.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• When my sons were babies they would spit up a lot unless I put some cereal in their breastmilk/formula, just a half teaspoon in a four ounce bottle. This helped a lot, but it can never hurt to talk to your child's doctor about this issue.
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 10:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2011