New kid coming over with mom for playdate, help!

This is the first playdate my daughter has had with this kid and her mom is bringing her over at 6pm and staying with her. I'm no good at being a host. I don't know what to talk about, what to do....I'm a hermit crab. Help. I've never met this lady before and while I understand, she wants to see where her kid is hanging out, I dread it and can't wait for it to be over...in hopes that the next time the kid will be able to come alone!!!

drpepper73

Asked by drpepper73 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Talk about mom stuff. Or stuff in the news. Or celebrities. After all that, the time will be gone before you know it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• relax this mom could be a nervous as you! who knows you could have a new friend out of it! offer pop or water and just chat... you do afterall have 2 things in common right off the bat! you are women and have children the same age~ ask if she has others and share funny stories about whatt they have done? are they in school? the same class ? what do you think of the school experience so far? talk about what they did for the holidays etc ask what they do for fun GL and have a great time
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Offer he stuff to drink, soda, water tea...whatever you have around and try to keep away from religion and politics, but any other subject should be fine. The only reason I say to keep away from those topics is because you never know her views, KWIM? And you don't want to offend her.
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Offer her a drink or something and ask her about her kid. I agree don't talk politics or religion. Watch a movie or whatever. It will be fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011