fun way to teach ABC recognition?

I was wondering what other techniques are successful for helping a preschooler recognize their ABCs by helping them prevent number and letter confusions?

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are many ways to teach the ABC's to your toddler. There are television programs that repeat the letters, numbers, etc. with funny songs, singing, kids dancing, flashing the letters and numbers on the screen, sounding out words using the letters. there are many age appropriate toys out there from baby einstein to soft baby books to help with the teaching of it all.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• And the same could hold true to a preschooler since they enjoy having fun while learning as well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my son loves the show super why there is a pig that sings the abcs and he loves singing along with it
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 6:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I keep and 22mth old and a 3yr old. I show them a song video everyday that we sing to the video sings like this A is Apple then it makes the sound of the letter A it also shows a picture of both letter and word. I also have a abc chart and a letter of the day that i do with them I have had the 3 yr old since july and he now knows all of his letters except 3 and he know what almost all of them sound like.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have just started. If you figure there are 52 weeks in the year and then only half the numbers in the alphabet - I came up with a plan and a path to reading. We shall see. I started a day ago with big A and little a. Simply recognizing the letters. I explained every letter has a big letter and a little letter.  Then yesterday we reviewed big A and little a with the three sounds they can make.  So through out the year we will review letters and sounds we learned and add new ones.  Then we will be ready to start putting those sounds together.  Phonics.  Not inventing anything new.  But that is my plan.  Low key.  And today, while out eating lunch together, he pointed to a letter and said, "Look, Big A."  So it is working.  Then I had him point out little a.  I used flash cards but I also am using a sand tray so he can trace letters in the sand of the ones he has learned.  I want it relaxed.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I checked out a game from the library. It's ABC's big & little and you match them up kinda like a puzzle. DD will be 4 next month and she loves it.
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Preschoolers don't know left, right,etc... so i tell them they have hats, shoes, backs, heads, bellybuttons etc... i tell them some babies(little letters) look at their mommies, and some are ugly, and don't look at their mommies. It's a little weird, but it kinda helps them. Plus i think making them out to be people helps them remeber them better. I also do flashcards daily. There is also an educational movie, Leapfrogs letter factory it's really great for helping remember them through songs.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011